1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harness

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by JohnL, Apr 28, 2019.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I've been having buoyancy problems with winter gear with my wing as it won't carry all the weight I need. I tried a weight belt with 6kg in the pool night on Friday but it had dropped off my (lack of) hips in minutes. I've borrowed a Scubapro harness that has two enormous integrated pockets and trim pockets that I'm going to try in Scotland next week. I need 12-14kg, plus backplate - this would work with 5kg in each integrated pocket and 1 or 2kg in the each trim pocket - I can then remove the wing integrated pockets that will only take 5lbs (2kg ish).
    The Scubapro harness appears to be out of production; the only one on sale is a Comfort harness that is over the top with padding, chest strap and crutch strap. Other suggestions welcome.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Remind us what your current kit config is -- single with 'standard' backplate, one-piece harness and single doughnut wing?

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

It's a bit more comfy than that with a soft pad over the backplate, an adjustable harness similar to a BCD and chest & crutch straps. Weight carrying is two Halcyon integrated weight pockets on the waistband at the hips rated 5lb only and twin upper and lower camband pockets that will take 2kg each.

I think that I got a second-hand harness from you in my early days that worked well under a BCD but the integrated weight pockets "died".

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Could you add second pockets to each cam band strap, i.e. four in total; two top, two bottom?

(I use this on my single rig. The good thing is you can take the lead out when swapping to another cylinder and slip it back in when it's rigged.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I’d prob try a harness. Wibles suggestion might work but it is a lot of weight on your back and I don’t see any of it as ditchable. Heavy to pull into a rib if you do that stuff.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Wibble - got four cam pockets already, although have felt head-heavy when lead in the top ones. This would give me 4.5kg in ditchable pockets +8kg in cambelts which is too light, I think, and as Vanny says, a heavy wing to deal with.

I've got the borrowed harness with me and I've been promised an excellent instructor for the first dive in Scotland - I'll sort out my weight needs and take it from there.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Weighted single tank adapter or a p-weight could help but it seems like a lot of lead. Is this the result of a proper weight check?

The xdeep pockets are larger than the Halcyon ones, maybe just switch one brand for the other.