1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halcyon Cinch

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by Major Clanger, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Not sure this is in right place. Now got a nicely balanced rig with one piece harness adjusted so that I can get to the valves easily then crunch. Getting in and out of it is a contortionist's nightmare. Have recently fitted the ND dryglove system and their bulk makes a quick don and doff from the harness all but impossible. Recently been reading about the cinch and wondered what views there are about it. Do I need a halcyon backplate; can it be used on my ND one? Should I wish to do GUE-F, not when but if, would it be OK to use.

2. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

yes
    no
    dunno

and finally...

HTFU

AaronB likes this.
  3. johnkendall

johnkendall Member

The Cinch only works with a Halcyon backplate. Yes it is allowed on fundies. However I generally get people to add 2 triglides to the webbing on classes so that we can set the cinched position.

HTH

John

4. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

AG wears a OPH and ND drygloves and he manages to don his kit fine, doffing is generally fine except for today when he slipped whilst half out of his kit and was left dangling there. We didnt laugh, much :)

5. johnkendall

johnkendall Member

Yeah, I should have said that most of the time it's possible to setup a oph so that you can both get in and out of it and reach valves. It just takes a bit of knowledge/experience.

HTH

John

6. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

I find that the OPH & ND gloves you need to start standing at least above your kit then slide down and into the harness, getting out is the reverse.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Cinch 'should' work with some backplates other than the Halcyon one if you are lucky enough to have one that has exactly the same sizes and curves in the important places. Kent Diving does a similar thing that'll work on any other backplate.

8. Major Clanger

Thanks all. Looked at Kent Diving but couldn't find anything.

9. MatHendery

MatHendery Member

At least you didn't fall arse over t1t today

10. AndyA

AndyA Member

Thats what your buddy is for, a helping hand is better than forking out for more kit.

11. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

The "Winch system" isn't on their website yet, costs £25 and works with any backplate. There is a write up on YD if you search for "winch". To get one phone John and he'll sell it for £25. Just installed it on with 5mm Agir backplate on my Vision and it seems to do the job (not been out with it yet).

12. Mark S

Mark S New Member

The Cinch system works far better with the Halcyon plate than others but there are one or two that will accomodate it.

I have one but it is not currently fitted to any of my plates; I tried it but didn't like it because I've used nothing but a OPH for the last ten years or so. I fitted it to my girlfriend's plate when she learned to dive last year but she asked me to remove it earlier this year as she didn't find getting out of the harness a problem without adjusting it.

I use a dryglove ring system which is pretty bulky and, with a little practice and familiarity, it becomes a doddle to get in and out of the kit.

13. big si

big si Well-Known Member

gary, i would say avoid the cinch, winch systems, realy.

but what do i know ;)

14. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Me too

Just put a break in your harness and be done with it

:D

15. DuncanJW

DuncanJW Member

Try both first. I started with a fixed one piece harness, thought the cinch looked like a plan, bought one, pain in the a@rse, back to a fixed system. If you fancy one, i have one going cheap......

16. Major Clanger

:lol::lol::lol:

Experienced the same slippy slidy problem don/offing.

Some fors, mostly againsts, so for now will put off adding any contraptions and see how it goes. Thanks for replies.

17. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

I have the cinch on my 'H' BP and think it is brilliant. But then I am arthritic and so really struggle sometimes with a one piece harness without it.

18. Demmy

Demmy Member

A couple of brilliant tips I was given a while back for getting into and out of a OPH;

Getting in - stand up above the kit and then slide both arms downwards inside the shoulder loops; then squat and push your arms through the loops at the same time and it should just sort of fall into place quite easily.

Getting out - grab hold of the spare double ended boltsnap on your right chest d-ring and pull outwards and downwards at the same time; this should very easily remove this one loop down to your elbow and you should be able to turn slightly to the left and remove your right arm. You can then quite easily turn fully to the left and slide out your left arm without too much trouble.

This works for me wearing a 400g thinsulate undersuit with a reasonably snug OPH, si-tech quick cuff rings fitted on my drysuit, wearing my drygloves and my BT on my right arm.

19. Major Clanger

Thanks, will try this. Wasn't really a problem until I went to a 4 mm neoprene drysuit and ND dry gloves.

20. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Like John I have no problem if people wear the cinch on fundies. However, it will be "doctored" so that it cannot actually be used as a cinch - the position will be fixed.