1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUE Fundamentals with Clare Gledhill @ Vobster 25th - 28th June

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ellie, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

If you've already read this on YD you probably don't want to read it again :D but for anyone on here contemplating doing Fundies.....

I had been indescisive about doing this course for a while, I wasn't sure I wanted to be 'standardised' but then I liked the idea of the whole team diving thing, so what was I to do? I needed to find out what GUE / DIR was all about first hand rather than reading the pro / anti stuff on the internet, which of course is all true because it's on the internet, so I booked the course. If I hated it, well it would be an experience. If I liked it, then great.

So what was I expecting? Firstly in the back of my mind I wondered if I was going to learn much from this course as I am already a baby Trimix diver ( to 48m ) and this looked in a way to be a bit of a backwards step, maybe it would just fill in some gaps, who knows? I also was expecting it to be a very serious course. I'd seen Clare around, but never managed the opportunity to speak to her, so really didn't know what she was like, and of course the internet had her pinned as a serious, no-nonsense woman and so I was a little apprehensive on turning up for the course on Friday.

As it turned out, I was totally wrong on both counts. I learned an absolute shed load. Clare, whilst there was obviously a serious element to the course managed to make the course really good fun at the same time as imparting her vast knowledge and the training we had to do. At an average of 12 hour days across the course it was not an easy time and really quite tiring, but a fabulous learning experience all the same. She gave us a very high level of support in and out of the water, always there to banish negativity as soon as it started to surface, and turning it round into positives, giving constant feedback to help you improve yourself, and instantly appearing in front of you should you have an issue underwater. We also had an Instructor Intern on our course, so as well as Clare's knowlege, we also got another brain to pick, and this proved to be a great worthwhile added bonus.

There was 3 of us on the course, a girl I knew to say 'Hi' to, and another girl I'd never met before in my life. It was amazing to see how much all of us developed over the 4 days, not just as individuals with how well we performed our skills, but as a fully integrated team who went from 3 individual divers swimming around to a team, happy ascending elbow to elbow in our triangle staring into each others eyes, anticipating what might happen next and being ready to help should one of our team mates need it.

I came away from the course with a Technical pass, a great amount of gained knowledge and a lot more confidence in my own diving ability. For anyone contemplating doing the course, I'd say go for it, as it is probably the best course I have done so far :thumbup:

2. Razza

Razza Member

Well done Ellie. A tech pass too!
    I knew you always wanted to be one of them there gooey fundamentalists ;)

3. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Well done, glad you enjoyed the course :)

I hope the importance of being serious was stressed sufficiently ;)

4. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

Well done Ellie!

5. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Well done, but beware the dark side young Ellie. Much danger of cloning, and if you find the urge to buy overpriced equipment stamped with a big H, use the force and resist.

6. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

you do realise your Brushed Ali 80 will now have to be sold or painted white :p

7. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

lol, I shall watch out for that, but I'm sure the expenditure can't get much worse than it already is. Oh hang on..... :lol:

:eek:hmy: I guess i'll be getting the paintbrush out then :D

8. ScubaDiva

ScubaDiva Amazing Member

Really well done to you. It sounds like great fun. Don't worry we'll Stijl talk to you on the dark side. :D

9. Phil O

Phil O Member

Nice one Ellie. Look forward to hearing all about on the Tala next week.