1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUE Experience Day - 15th January

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by Gareth Burrows, Dec 20, 2010.

1. MatHendery

MatHendery Member

That could change in the next 355 days :D

2. madmark1

madmark1 Member

sorry but will have to dip out on the gue day fell down some steps at work on friday now nursing to broken ribs

3. Elvis

Elvis Banned

1. BlueChan
    2. Bantam
    3. SilvaFish
    4. RichardC
    5. Frankie P (tbc?)
    6. Garf (GUE Instructor)
    7. Imogen (GUE)
    8. AdamS (GUE)
    9. Doomanic
    10. MadMark
    11. Major Clanger
    12. GLOC (GUE)
    13. AndyA
    14. John Kendal (GUE Instructor)
    15. Nick Thompson
    16. Badger (GUE Instructor intern)
    17. Demmy
    18. Elvis
    19. Richie
    20. Martyn D
    21. Jeff Keep
    22. Brendan Murray
    23. Colin Murray
    24. Rhys (Repta) He is coming from Loughborough and will need a lift. I can pick him up if no one is closer
    25. Jack - maybe (Elvis' flatmate)

4. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Dozzie won't know what's hit 'em. They'll need to dial up a third turdis.[hr]

5. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

1. BlueChan
    2. Garf (GUE Instructor)
    3. Imogen (GUE)
    4. AdamS (GUE)
    5. Doomanic
    6. MadMark
    7. Major Clanger
    8. GLOC (GUE)
    9. AndyA
    10. John Kendal (GUE Instructor)
    11. Nick Thompson
    12. Badger (GUE Instructor intern)
    13. Demmy
    14. Elvis
    15. Richie
    16. Martyn D
    17. Jeff Keep
    18. Brendan Murray
    19. Colin Murray
    20. Rhys (Repta)
    21. Jack - maybe (Elvis' flatmate)

List update...anymore for anymore?

6. Brendan Murray

Brendan Murray New Member

Unfortunatly, I (and Colin) won't be able to make it tomorrow :( It would be great to see you run another 'GUE experience day' in the near future though, a great opportunity to see DIR done for real. I would really like the chance to have a dive or two with you GUE guys - I'm interested in taking fundies later this year or next, need to find the cash first though :) Good diving tomorrow everyone, hopefully meet you all another time.

1. BlueChan
    2. Garf (GUE Instructor)
    3. Imogen (GUE)
    4. AdamS (GUE)
    5. Doomanic
    6. MadMark
    7. Major Clanger
    8. GLOC (GUE)
    9. AndyA
    10. John Kendal (GUE Instructor)
    11. Nick Thompson
    12. Badger (GUE Instructor intern)
    13. Demmy
    14. Elvis
    15. Richie
    16. Martyn D
    17. Jeff Keep
    18. Rhys (Repta)
    19. Jack - maybe (Elvis' flatmate)

7. Badger

Badger Member

No worries Brendan, I am sure we can arrange a dip at Dosthill or Stoney sometime soon

8. Demmy

Demmy Member

Just to say that today was great, the two dives were really beneficial and the debriefs afterwards were really useful. Thanks to Garf for setting this up and thanks to John, Badger, Imogen, Gloc, Adam and anybody else I have forgotten who helped out etc.

It was a cracking day, I personally have learnt loads and have some really good constructive feedback to go away and work on for the future.

Thanks guys!

9. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

What he said. :thumbup:

Very interesting and informative, thanks again guys (and gal)

10. J Keep

J Keep New Member

A big thanks to everybody for organising a fantastic & informative day.
    Even old salty instructors can learn a thing ot two.

Thanks Guys.

11. Elvis

Elvis Banned

Cheers everyone nice to meet everyone, although leaving at 6:00am was a bit of the shock to the system.

12. AndyA

AndyA Member

Very nice to see 2 GUE instructors and other GUE members up here in the midlands. A very enjoyable day for me, thanks very much guys and girls, look forward to seeing you again soon.

13. Badger

Badger Member

Just a thanks to Garf for putting the day together, the members who supported and assisted and most importantly to the divers who gave up their Saturday to come a share a few laughs and hopefully have some fun and hopefully pick up a few tips. It was a pleasure to meet you all.
    Thanks in particular to Andy, Dominic and Richard who joined me and despite early impressions of a heard of cats on the platform (who would have thought that just staying still was so tricky!?) shaped up nicely.

Thanks all!

14. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

Imogen and I were delighted that so many people turned up, both GUE and non-GUE alike. We split the group into three, with myself looking after one group, John Kendall another, and Badger the last group. We had an enormous range of people there, from divers with 14 dives, including no drysuit or UK divers, to a BSAC first class diver and a rebreather instructor.

We gave people feedback on buoyancy control, trim, and staying together as a team. we also did demonstrations of valve drills, and out of Gas drills. There was a brief but amusing discussion on the benefits of hoglooping versus bungee which I'm delighted to say resulted in no fatalities. People, as it turns out, seem to get along a lot better in real life than on the internet :)

My grouo got filmed in the water, and Gareth Lock was there taking stills of everyone, looking totally relaxed and cool in the water despite several months out of it. I'm spending more and more time in the sea and less and less time in quarries these days, but I do still enjoy a good training or demonstration dive, so personally had a good laugh.

Out of the water, we went through the history and goals of GUE, and also an explanation of the equipment configuration and the thoughts behind it. We tried not to explain not just what the configuration was, but how it has evolved, and how the system is scalable from the first day's diving on an introductory training course to an advanced technical or cave dive. What was great was that it become more of a discussion than a lecture, something I am a big fan of as an instructor.

overall, everyone seemed to have a good time, and as always being divers we ended up in the pub, albeit it there to review stills, video and debrief the dives to see what we could all learn.

video will be sent out to anyone that was there, and I'm already looking forward to the next event in three months.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izG4Bu_gZMY[/video]

15. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

What's the location of that one Gareth

16. GLOC

GLOC Member

Thanks to everyone who pitched up. It was great. Team Foxturd used to run Chimp weekends although these sort of died out. Nice to see the same format being resurrected.

I got back around 16:30 and spent the time cooking a nice meal for my lovely wife who I haven't seen much of having spent last week in Chicago (still suffering a little jet lag and I am up at 06:30 tomorrow) so I haven't had time to send the photos out. This is something I will do tomorrow night. Garf/Im will send me the addresses which were collected in the Fox Pub afterwards. If you didn't get there, please send me a PM and I will add you to the address list for the gallery (Jeff I have yours!)

Nice to meet you all.

Regards

17. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

Vobster in April

18. johnkendall

johnkendall Member

Just to Echo Garf and James' posts, I'd also like to thank everyone for coming along to hear us talk and go for a dive with us. It was really nice to meet you all, and hopefully you got something out of the day.

I was actually pleasantly suprised by my first dive at Dosthill. I might even consider returning at some point.

Thanks
    John