1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Barrier Reef

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Wibble, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Pondering a liveaboard trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Know little about it aside from it being a wonderful place to dive, certainly according to the Blue Planet brochure.

Would like to do a week long liveaboard with the wife who said she'd do her OW beforehand, so she's serious. Had a quick google and it seems to be very expensive, amazingly expensive.

So some questions...

Recommended reading/websites for research?
    When's the best time to go?
    Where's the best place to go?
    Recommended operators?
    Sort of prices to expect?
    What's the diving like -- will they nanny you?
    Typical depths (e.g. use nitrox)?

TIA

2. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

Pro Dive in Cairns last year were excellent. Good boat and crew. And, once they were happy I knew what we were doing, they left us more or less to ourselves.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks Andy.

How long were you on the boat for - a week or a few days? What was the itinerary, or doesn't it make much difference as it's all good? Typical depths?

Also, the important thing, is it novice friendly? Wife doesn't dive but would learn in advance but wouldn't look much more than OW/OD in pools and a sign-off in a quarry. She's no interest in UK diving and definitely wouldn't be taught/coached by me!

4. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

3 days. A reef is a reef. Although the briefings were pretty good and steered you in the direction of the good stuff. Plenty of life. Night dives were spectacular. Probably averaged around 12m or so.

Very newbie friendly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wibble likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The boat Pro Dive use is one I've found in my searches. Expensive: 7 days at ~£1k/day for both of us!

Must be others!

6. JasonP

JasonP Member

Australia is just generally expensive now. I did do the Pro Dive Cairns 3 day trip many years ago. It was really aimed at OW divers and the reefs weren't particularly good even back then.

The decent diving is out in the Coral Sea or the Ribbon Reefs but as you say, that isn't cheap.

I have written up a number of trips on my website at www.scuba-addict.co.uk but nothing that recent.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you interested in coming to Komodo in July? Should be some nice diving there and non-diving stuff too for a bit of variety.

8. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I agree with much of this. Maureen and I went with Divers Den. From memory 3days/2nights liveaboard cost about 700 Au Dollars with a special offer in March. Briefings were good. Beware of extra charge for guided dives (15 dollars per diver per dive three years ago.) Night dives very good. Day dives were also good, but no better in my opinion than Red Sea. I think that if you want the Blue Planet experience, you have to go on the outer reefs which are normally minimum week trips and cost a lot more even pro rata.