1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gralmarine & Light 4 me compatibility

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Sheck, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Sheck

Sheck New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a 13,6 Ah canister from Gralmarine with a dead gralmarine head.
    I thought about replacing it with the Gralmarine 3XML-2 head (looking for a narrow 6-7º beam with a bit of soft spill), but I read that the spill and back scatter are really a concern with this head.
    That led me to Light 4 me's NW7, 4 TEC and Tek one heads.
    Does anyone know if I could use the light 4 me heads on the Gralmarine canister?
    Both brands use the RCA type connector for their canisters but I don't know if they are somehow different and thus not compatible.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Sheck

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are they the same connector? Interesting if they are as I've still kept the LfM torches -- still trying to get a NW7 and Heat-for-Me battery repaired by LfM (who are a useless bunch of gits who ignore you when you try to get something repaired)

Interesting to see the answer to this question!

3. Sheck

Sheck New Member

In theory, yes. They both use the RCA type connector.
    However, I'd like to know if someone has actually connected one to the other before buying a head that I won't be able to use with my big Gralmarine canister.

detail_LED30HLAVA.jpg
    This is a Gralmarine above

This is a Light me below
    4tec-head-accu-44-78ah-factory-refurbished.jpg

Same connector as you can see but I don't know if the fitting changes.

For the Gralmarine you press it down until the o-rings are in place and then screw the outer nut to the canister connector.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Can you get a Gralmarine to E/O connection adapter? LfM flog one

5. Sheck

Sheck New Member

I don’t know if there is an adapter. I’ve never seen one but that might do the trick.

In any case, I got a response back to my original question from LFM directly.

“Answering your question - our RCA port is not compatible with other manufacturers, for example Gralmarine. So you will not be able to use our products with other manufacturers“

Bummer

Sheck

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Gralmarine list an E/O adapter and a 14.4 to 12V adapter (for suit heaters) on their site, but not in their price list.

7. Sheck

Sheck New Member

My only concern would be a cumbersome cord with the adapter, and also length.
    I might just look at their canisters but your after sales experience with them puts me off to be honest.

Sheck

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

LFM do E/O versions of their lights. The overall length for an umbilical cable seems to be about 1.2 metres for backmount and longer for sidemount when the battery's mounted across your backside. More cable just gets in the way.

9. Nile

Nile New Member

Light for me's communication is poor but they do get the work done.

It's just not quick, it took over a month to have my light head changed from E/O to RCA. Annoyingly I now need to change the battery as it's not one that just has a RCA to E/O cable so I now need to get that swapped over too.

Other than that IV not had any issues with the torches them self.

10. Sheck

Sheck New Member

Good to hear. Thanks.
    I think quality wise both brands might be at the same level but they do have different approaches for tech diving

Sheck