1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro video light

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by Daniel, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I'm really bad at photography on the surface and it gets a whole lot worse underwater lol!

My girlfriend has got me one of these as an early birthday present
    http://www.dirdirect.com/Light-For-Me-GoPro-Hero-Video-Lighting-System.html

Has anyone used one, Understand it just point and shoot thing but hopefully it will produce better pictures than the green ones I'm use to taking.

Is it any good? Looking forward to having a little play with it, would I still need a filter?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are bringing artificial light with you then no, you don't need a filter. You have to be close though for the light to reach though

Daniel likes this.
  3. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Have a look here. I use a mixture of filters or lights depending if it's Macro or wide angle. It has its limitations but a fantastic bit of kit for the money.

TG

Daniel likes this.
  4. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Good review.. I really know absolutely nothing about photography so I'll look forward to playing around with it thanks

5. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

SidemountStu may help. He uses go pro and lfm lights.

6. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Yeah spoken to him, he doesn't have this but has showed me a couple of vids he took in the Red Sea, look neat.

7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Stus single 3xml video light is considerably better than those 2 900 lumen in the kit. I had the kit, but found it quite limited, but it depends what you want to film, it you want shoot smaller critters or small objects from a metre or so away it'll be fine, any further and any bigger and it will struggle. x

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  8. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

One thing to remember with the lighting is to extend the arms as wide as possible and DON'T have the lights pointing directly at the subject.... you want the lights to be aimed just apart enough so the light beams overlap nicely in the centre of your frame but without the centre of either light beam being aimed at the centre of your frame. (I hope that makes sense?) This will help to reduce the horrendous effects of backscatter!

Daniel likes this.
  9. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Your gonna have to show me how to do this, my camera skills are crap

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  10. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

No worries... remind me next time we dive... it's simples... honestly

Daniel likes this.