1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro look alike

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by JohnL, Mar 22, 2017.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Having decided that I didn't want to be wielding a camera underwater, I found that the dive centre in Barbados are happy to get a guide to take video/pictures but have no cameras.:facepalm: Googling around, I came across the Veho Muvi K series that has better reviews than GoPro and, with signing up for a 30-day Amazon Prime trial :hurting:came out under £170 including waterproof case to 100m, lots of fixings, 16Gb card, spare battery and a nice hard case to keep it all in.
    I can't believe how tiny it is and most of that is battery. I'll leave it to the expert for the holiday and then take it from there. I've never seen myself diving, my view that my trim is good may take a bit of a battering.:jawdrop: Can't wait to get it wet in nice warm water.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Make sure you post some of the footage on here so we can poke fun, err, I mean give constructive criticism... :D

hawk likes this.
  3. kainan

kainan New Member

The Muvi K series of cameras are really great.I believe the beneath british waters guys use them.I have used gopro when they came out and found the footage really grainy sometimes and then i saw the K series cam's.I now have a AEE magicam which is exactly the same as the K2 with the100M housing and its also wifi.i have some footage from eccy delph of the roach and trout swimming right up to the camera and i think the picture is brilliant and better than the gopro.If i can edit it down i will post it.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'm still awaiting advice from my technical advisor (son-in-law) as to how to get video to the forum. Video files are huge.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Normally go up on YouTube or Vimeo and link to them using the 'film' icon.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I don't do social media, bad enough to spend half my day on a diving forum.:whistling:

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I feel your pain, believe me I do!

The alternative is to host the file elsewhere and link to it here.

Maybe someone else could volunteer to post the video to YouTube/Vimeo?

8. Willie

Willie New Member

How big are said files ? i'd happily stick them up on youtube

9. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

10. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

11. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

12. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

By gum, I think I've done it.:) I finally got in the same room as my son-in-law, who solved my issue in about five minutes.:joyful: All being well, you can see a wreck and some fish on this link https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahkfl7QsZr0p5wxSszI_ToEBIxne

It's only about 10m down, I think, but is in shadow. I'll post another in more open water with my son-in-law and daughter shortly after completing OW.

Wibble likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

White balance

From John's movie, there's a blue caste due to the reds being filtered by the water.

If using a, say Cannon G7 or Panasonic LX100, could this be solved in-camera?

14. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I can filter colour on editing, but this is very early days for me. I regard the camera as an instamatic that will record pictures that will remind me and the family of our holidays - I'm never going to be a Cecil B DeMille :whistling:

16. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

From Actevion CX cam
    £40

Will improve settings for better quality. Settings are quite extensive for a cheap cam

17. snowman

snowman Active Member

Chariot Racing underwater isn't the same anyway! :D

M.

JohnL likes this.
  18. joe90

joe90 New Member

I think the Gopro has pretty good quality really. This was a few days ago on a hero 5, factory settings and no edits other than cutting down in length.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk