1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro housing options

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by Wibble, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've managed to flood three action cameras. A GoPro (which was my own fault for not closing it properly); and two MuVi cameras which were in their housing "rated to 100 metres" and both flooded between 50 and 60 metres.

With that in mind, what about buying a proper rugged third-party housing, rated to a minimum of 100 metres and has a proper click-to-close housing. Nauticam and the like.

What do you use? Which housings would you recommend? Which ones to avoid (MuVi....)

I'm fully intending to do a Malin trip, so really do need something that will work at 100 metres. Also want something that will survive being bashed around with my kit.

2. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

See my other post.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Edit (was on other forum).

My Hugyfot does all that, with an 8” screen & 6 hr built in battery.
    [​IMG]
    TPG

4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    TPG

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    TPG

6. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The new ones have the screen built in rather than separate.

TPG

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

#7 timmyg, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

First question to ask is do you actually want to take videos? If you are not going to bother to do anything with your videos or edit them in any way then why bother taking them.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks Tim; much appreciated. Was a sharp intake of breath when I first saw the price, but then you realise you really do get a lot for it including the monitor. Will let that sink in a bit; if the rebreather's not forthcoming, then this might be the way to go.

That's a good point Jason. I'm moderately interested in taking videos and pictures. Somewhat disappointed by the Paralenz TBH, but it's slowly getting me more interested in capturing pictures of what I see on a dive. Wouldn't need that if I could use (afford) loads of helium:) The main thing is to be able to do a dive and choose whether or not to take pictures; not go diving just to take pictures/videos.

I do wonder if a decent viewfinder would make the difference -- at least you can work out the lighting and white balance. Of course a camera like yours (Cannon G7?) is another alternative.

My best dives are often the ones where you get down there and spend ages just watching some animal getting on with its life. Would be nice to take pictures for posterity. Memories of the Alaunia recently where the current was running and I grabbed hold of the bow near the gunwale (top) for a rest and needed both hands. A little blenny popped up right in my face, looking me straight in the eye. Couldn't move because of the current, but would have loved to have filmed it -- actually I did have my camera but couldn't reach it!

Sorry, rambling off topic, but this has been a good year's diving for me. No courses (after the cave course in March), but lots of diving in the 30 to 50 metre range on the south coast and two Scapa trips. With the 'independent' diving and lots of deco, was able to really extend the bottom times. So numerically not too many dives (60) but lots of time - circa 100 hours; maybe a third of that at deco!

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Dunno about cameras. But if your serious about the unit do that first. You could end up sinking cash into a camera , then go unit and find you don’t want to take a camera for a while until your confident on the ccr. Better to go unit then camera if it still takes your fancy.