1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro 3 filter and lenses

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by Pete Spencer, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

As per the title really. I was
    Looking at the backscatter gear and it looks good, but I need to get something quick to take to Egypt at the end of the week. Ideally want a red filter and Macro lens arrangement. If anyone has any recommendations?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You shouldn't need a macro as it focuses pretty closely.

You'll definitely need a red filter. The all plastic ones will break and fall off; the best ones have a metal frame into which the filter fits.
    image.jpeg

I bought the one in the photo at a dive show for about £30 (I think). Definitely stays on the camera.

Pity my camera's shagged:(

scoobydo and Pete Spencer like this.
  3. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

I read some where on this forum when I was researching lenses you were thinking of getting a Hero 4. Gone off the Idea?

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've just signed up for buying a new bespoke Predator wetsuit, so I'm somewhat overspent on the diving front -- not to mention in the doghouse -- so not going to replace the camera

Yet.

Pete Spencer likes this.
  5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

backscatter stuff is available from Deep Ideas and usually stuff arrives next day

http://www.deep-ideas.co.uk/Store/

Pete Spencer likes this.
  6. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

Just orders a clip on filter, no good then? Looks like I'll have to get one like in the PIC

7. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I actually found the polar opposite.... the plastic clip on filters lasted me far better than the glass polar pro ones that i bought.
    The plastic ones can scratch a bit, but generally that doesn't affect their performance, however the glass ones (at least in my experience) just crack and become instantly un-useable.

I'd personally never buy a glass filter again, based on the experiences i've had. Maybe i've just been unlucky, who knows, but i can only say as i've found.

8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've always used the Polar ones with no issues, and for the 3 they only cost about a fiver off eBay. Ultimately filters are only temporary fixes, and you really need lighting. I tend to use a combination of the 2 depending on wide angle or macro.

I have a blog here which reviews the LFM lighting rig. If you ignore that bit and scroll down to the bottom you will see the link to the video I made on both Vimeo and YouTube. If you watch that, and specifically look at the sections listed in the blog you can see where a filter was used compared to the lights.

TG

Colliwobbles, Wibble and Pete Spencer like this.
  9. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you still looking for filters? I've an aftermarket housing that has a larger lens & mine do not fit so they're currently surplus. [​IMG]

10. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

Yes. The one I bought broke on its first outing. Not good quality, even though it wasn't that cheap. Will they fit a GoPro3?

11. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Apologies, but as I hadn't heard back I sold them at the weekend.

12. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

No worries. I haven't used the forum for a week or so

13. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

A Week !!! Strike him down revoke his membership sorry Pete you can't leave for that long

Pete Spencer likes this.