1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by JohnL, Feb 21, 2020.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I have come to a momentous decision - it's time to hang up my fins. I've been having pain clearing one ear for some time and now have deafness that side (ably compensated by an NHS hearing aid!). My skills have plateaued, or to be honest, fallen - resulting in one or two worrying incidents. And, as I approach my 73rd birthday, I'm beginning to feel my age.
    I started diving four years ago and have made 117 dives, 90 overseas, so I'm happy with that. I will miss the support and friendship of other divers, I will not miss climbing into 35kg of kit and stomping to the water or hanging around in the cold between dives at a quarry in winter.
    Next task is to list/photograph my accumulated kit and get it sold. Expect to see it on personal ads in the next week or two - suggestions as a long list or batch related items?

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I'll bet you wish you'd taken it up earlier but it's admirable that you did so when you did and that you got such enjoyment from your short stint.

I've got another 10 years until I'm your age but I'm rather hoping to still be diving for the centenary of the Royal Oak's sinking. I'll be 81 by then!

Selling your kit individually would almost certainly see a better return but it could be a ballache. I've sold (and bought) lots of dive kit on eBay with pretty good success but I always preferred dealing with people I know on the forums, even if it meant lower prices. It was nice to see stuff go to friends.

3. splinter

splinter Active Member

Sorry to hear that, John. I've enjoyed reading about your travels.

All the best for whatever pursuit you decide to take up next.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Good luck John. I sold you a harness some time ago, but if it's on the list, I don't want it back.

5. John F

John F Active Member

Sorry to hear you are stopping diving, I can only hope to still be diving at your age. Good luck for the future.
    John.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh noes! I've been admiring your diving adventures for a long time. Totally get the aversion to cold, dark, manky puddle diving.

But really pleased that you enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

So what next? Sailing's a good pastime that's suited to people with time (i.e. retired!). I know loads of people in their eighties and nineties sailing (my mum & dad and most of their club!)

Flogging kit: you can get rid it it as a job lot, but you won't make much from it unless you want to see it going to a good home, e.g. find someone just starting out.

To maximise your return, flog it separately. Faecesbook is an excellent place to sell it, especially any recreational tat (like I flogged all my yellow crap!)
    Stick to a higher price for the regs; BCD's will often go for higher prices to newbies (any newbies here -- ask us for advice first!)

Will be sorry to see you go.

7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

That’s a shame John. Look after yourself and good luck.

8. Chimpus

Chimpus Member

Sorry to hear that, John. I will miss your postings, having enjoyed reading your input and hearing about your travels.
    Best of luck in your future adventures.

9. speed098

speed098 Member

Just seen this so not sure if your still active on the forum. Sorry to hear you are hanging your fins up for greener pastures, all the best for the future whatever mischief you manage.

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Yes, still popping in from time to time in the fond hope that some one will want to buy my remaining gear! Hopefully, when diving resumes on a new normal footing.

11. snowman

snowman Active Member

Hi John.

Sorry to hear you're retiring, but it will come to us all in the end.

You'll have plenty of great memories, I'm sure, to look back on and while some will say "I bet you wish you'd started earlier", it's far better to have started at all! :D

Having done a few post Lockdown dives, I can empathize with you on not missing heavy kit and hanging around cold dive sites.

All the best!

M

Wibble likes this.