1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good quality dive torches; the choices

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Back on topic... first class customer service; Declan’s put a spacer & bolt in the post already.

Have to compare this with the non-existent Light-for-Me customer service. Actually it’s not fair on Declan as LFM are so totally crap.

I’ve had a quick look at my appalling home-made videos from Friday’s Dover dives: the lighting is good. Now have to learn how to edit the raw footage.

2. korsakof

korsakof Member

Have you seen Big blue?

Really good service and good lights. Some friends use it and they are really happy.

https://bigbluedivelights.com

I can´t have an opinion by my own because i don´t have any. I have 2 from aliexpress.

3. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

This spades. Been telling him you need dedicated video for around 2yrs.

Should have kept the focus.

If you are having trouble unscrewing the battery it’s because you are an idiot. The o rings provide the seal not the screw. Don’t screw it in so fucking far!!!

Buy a proper Goodman an quit moaning about it.

The switch isn’t the best but works. Make sure you rinse with fresh and you’re good to go.

I have a pair of keldans and a dedicated gralmarine gl7 video. Not cheap.

There are cheap chinese crap video lights of amazon... yes they will likely fail at some point but £55 ish ... no brainer.

x

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

*This in spaces x

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The Focus is history. Had one and at the time the Light-for-me torch was working so I flogged the Focus (vn 1)

Regarding the video I’m mildly interested in it but have a long way to go to being excited about it as taking pictures is just the beginning: editing and ‘publishing’ them is the big effort that I’m just not sure I can be arsed with.

Taking some video/photos underwater is moderately interesting, especially as I now have the core skills to do that without any real challenges. The camera — Paralenz — looks to be pretty Wibble-proof, so should be reliable (assuming that I remember to take the sodding thing into the water...)

Anyway, torches... I want a torch that works “reasonably” well as a video torch — without spending a fortune on dedicated video lights; a torch that works well as a standard tight-beamed umbilical; a torch that works well in overhead and completely dark conditions where the width of a video light will give good peripheral lighting; a torch that can be both umbilical and standalone (easy for holiday diving); and a torch that’s modular, so doesn’t need sending back to the menders when a cable breaks.

For all the above, I’m thus far very happy with the Anchor 189. I’m also delighted with the local(ish) customer service which has been exemplary.

That it’s a little cheaper than the other contenders is a Billy bonus — nearly £400 cheaper than the Focus 2 which isn’t modular. Although, to be fair, some of the others do have very solid reputations and I’m taking a risk (betting on?) the Anchor 189 being as good as them.

6. rygar

rygar New Member

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

As has been said by numerous people numerous times, there is not one light that can do both. I struggled for years & the difference between my early films to my latter ones shows the difference.

The only time I do mount a GoPro to my torch is for teaching for student feedback. That way it's always to hand & for that reason I still use a Halcyon 21W HID (ballast to mount), although I am thinking of changing once I've got a new drysuit.

For video I use 10000 lumen Chinese jobbies. For £50 odd quid I also have a spare in case one breaks on a trip but they've been good the last few years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chimpus likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What's the camera and monitor?

9. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

GoPro in a Hugyfot housing

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Found another use for the Anchor 189 last night. Sun went down and was still reading my book on battleships whilst sitting in the cockpit of the boat in St Katherines.

Needed a nice clear wide light that’s a warm colour so attached the Anchor light to the end of the boom, pointing downwards. Was way way too bright except for the lowest setting. Perfect area lighting system!

The light was pretty much stone cold after well over an hour.

Sure, it’s not doing what it was intended to do, but it was a fine solution to the challenge. Also have noticed how ‘flat’ the video beam is with no shadow artefacts.

11. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

What are the specs on the light as a non-umbilical?

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The light head unscrews from the cable and you screw on a battery —32650, so good performance. It’s a bit heavy to use as a helmet lamp with the battery attached.

Pretty pleased with it as a boat torch - but even yotties wouldn’t pay that amount for a torch though!

13. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

What are the weight, dimensions and runtime with it set up as a non-umbilical?

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I’ll take some photos. Don’t have any scales on the boat though!

(Also don’t have the umbilical nor ‘cave’ battery with me)

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

16. Depthdevil

Depthdevil New Member

Hey Wibbs. Did you check out ammonite torches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ammonite don't have a 'wide' beam available -- which I want for illuminating my surroundings in overhead conditions (in a wreck/cave/mine) and for very basic video.

I do think the Ammonite torches are great quality -- my backup Ammonite torches are impeccably reliable after many hundreds of dives with no maintenance. I'm sure their umbilicals would be as good.