1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good evening ladies and gents!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by JPasquette, Jan 29, 2018.

1. JPasquette

JPasquette New Member

My name is Jonathan, and I wish I had gills. But until then I'll continue to use an equipment solution to a biology problem! I live in the UK but am mostly diving where it's warm!

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Jonathan. If you had gills, you would be an instructor :whistling: Where's warm? Most of my diving has also been warm but I've started diving in cooler waters in the last year - warmest Barbados, coolest Stoney Cove in January. To paraphrase Alan Wainwright - there's no such thing as cold water, only unsuitable clothing.

JPasquette likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Until your heated vest packs up when you need it...

Having a dilemma this year: SWMBO's approved a foreign diving trip for me, but I'm seriously contemplating another week in the UK; at least I can drive there with all my kit!

Welcome Jonathan. The water's lovely, albeit rather cold and cloudy.

4. Tewdric

Tewdric Member

Welcome. Where you based?

5. JPasquette

JPasquette New Member

The warm water has been all over south-east Asia and Mexico! I will be venturing to Malta this summer!

@JohnL Stoney Cove in January? Sounds like a blast!
    @Wibble I'm sure England has some amazing sites, or maybe head up to Scapa Flow? I heard that's not going to be around for much longer! As John said, there's no such thing as cold water ;)
    @Tewdric I am on the East Coast, near Norwich!

6. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Try Silfra... ;)

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Jonathan, I'm about 20 miles south of you, just into Suffolk (until next week when I move 200 miles away!).. You have one of the most interesting geographical features in Europe near you - the North Norfolk Chalk Reef. This runs for miles and is only 5-8 metres deep but interesting diving with a few wrecks to see. Tidal, so can only be dived on the slack. I've trained and dived with a Norwich PADI club - Christal - give Chris or Polly a ring.

8. JPasquette

JPasquette New Member

Just had to google Norfolk Chalk Reef! No idea there was one so close by! Cheers for putting me onto it! I'm only back until March but will try to get a dive there for sure! 5-8m is still a dive. I get the feeling people always overlook shallower dives, but they're where I've found some of the most interesting stuff!

9. nickb

nickb Active Member

I hear this rubbish a lot. I spent 18 weeks diving in Scapa Flow last year and have at least 14 weeks planned for this year.

Obviously the wrecks are deteriorating, but that just creates opportunities as they open up. I don’t know anybody that would be bored diving the German fleet, particularly if they were well-briefed beforehand and I’m sure that will apply for decades to come.

Those battleships aren’t going to rust away in the next few years.

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of rubbish is talked about UK diving, mostly by non-divers or those who dive only overseas, perhaps to support their (poor) choices. The reality is that the UK coast has more wrecks than anywhere else in the world, the seas are rich in life, and the visibility can be exceptionally good. UK visibility is often less than the warmer waters as the cooler waters are richer in nutrients and support more life.

I prefer UK diving as it is something I can do all the year round and which doesn't involve extended travel and the annoyance of passing through airports with dive kit.

Sure, the wrecks are deteriorating, and changing but .... last time I looked in the mirror .......

I am pretty sure the UK will continue to offer some of the best diving in the world for a very long time after we are all gone!

Wibble likes this.