1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting it out :)

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Mako-JD, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Ok so a few months ago I grabbed my wife a waterproof draco drysuit 3.5mm compressed from fleabay cheap but MINT

Problem my wife has is getting all air out of suit...and no suit is not to big just about perfect for her. I have suggested to wife not to put undersuit on and just use a baselayer. Thinking fleece might be interfering with valve. I have looked at valve and seems to be working fine .

She can get down no probs but around 1to 1.5m. She seems to struggle and rolls around trying to dump gas. When finally down to depth she is fine ok trim and buoyancy control

I have suggested bad technice and apprehension. Weight check with 40bar and she is overweighted a bit but not exccesive.

Any thoughts. Thx

Always harder to criticise other half....can end badly for me.

Wibble likes this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As my wife says, "If a man is all alone walking through the woods, is he still wrong?":facepalm:

Will defer to more training-oriented people.

Although it's odd that she can get down a bit, then wants to dump air. That's odd as it's the wrong way round; as you descend, it'll squeeze more, so get tighter.

I wonder if it's the squeeze she's feeling and so she's trying to "shuffle" the suit around to get it comfy. I'll tend to get sinking then inject a fair amount of gas into the suit whilst sinking and do the "shuffle" to free my arms and torso up.

It might help to pull the suit legs up before jumping in.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing here from what you've said that it sounds like a symptom of not burping
    the suit enough and/or a bit of squeeze pushing air to pockets above the valve.
    You also have the possible of if she blows fully out at the start of the ascent to go down
    and then when she's in relaxed dive mode retains a couple of litres so is 2kg more buoyant. .

Make sure all the air is out of the suit at the start, really go for the squat down foetal
    position with the arms crossed tight and yes just have base layers. Common mistake
    is to do this with a weightbelt on, just don't.

The other unorthodox solution is to use a buddy line and clip her to a platform.
    This enables her to over-inflate and to see how quick the air comes out or if there are
    any pockets. Do this shallow mind and be close by.

4. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Seems odd that she can break the surface but struggles at shallow depths.

Edit - And then what Tel said

5. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Yea this is exactly what I can't understand get down a little then struggle. Buddy line is not bad idea.. not sure if she burps with belt on or off will pay attention this Sunday. Also I asked hwr to dive with just baselayer this weekend. I know the dump works as when I did runaway accents with her it dumped loads when I over inflated her suit.

6. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

I still think she is apprehensive even though claims to be calm. It's hard to tell though as she can be quite a nervous person even though she won't admit it

7. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Yup me to kinda stretch out in front and wriggle in my suit

8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The idea of clipping to a platform is it enables the diver to try subtle changes in position and to also
    see and hold the right position to dump gas.

Can go horizontal and over-inflate a bit so it's under tension, then slowly see what angle of rotate
    is needed to fully dump the gas.

9. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Yea that exactly what pictured doing Tel.Can inflate and find best position to dump and be able to manipulate her in the water with out floating away. Thinking clip to d ring on crotch strap would be best place.

First though gona try with no fleece and just baselayer and go from there. Will let you know how I got on when we go out Sunday

Tel likes this.
  10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

What sort of party is this.:woot:

splinter likes this.
  11. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Drysuit update....Good news, looks as if undersuit could be problem as with just a baselayer wife had no problems ditching all air...she even commented on how she felt proper shrink wrapped when we dropped to 18m......

So probably spring for some FEs. They are just so Damm expensive.

Are they really worth there price ???

12. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Before you spend any money make absolutely sure what you have got can't be adapted. Try putting a duck tape patch on the suit under where the valve is and see if that makes a difference.