1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Back Via AOW or Otherwise

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by pitdiver, Jul 18, 2018.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Gentlemen and others, My wife and I have made a decision to get back in the water as soon as sensibly can.
    Obviously we will need some sort of refresher. We both think that either the PADI reactivate or trying to find a Dive Club near us who is willing to lead us in a couple of hand holding dives is the way forward.However I have have the mad idea of doing my AOW as well just to give me a 30mt ticket. The wife thinks this is silly as she feels that the chances of going below 18mts are very slim.(She obtained her AOW when the Max was 40 mts.
    Does the panel think going for the AOW is silly as after looking at some vids it seems pretty easy.or should I just stick with OW and be satisfied with that.I am also considering in investing in a dry suit as we would like to do some shallow shore dives in the UK to start with.She already has a DS from Seaskin however that needs some alterations.(As a matter of interest whats the best way of having those done).Do I get a Neo or Laminate.
    Sorry for all these questions but this has taken a lot of thought so we want to get it right.

2. John F

John F Member

I would go for AOW, as it is quite easy and good fun. Also it does not mean you are restricted to 18m, if there is a wreck you fancy a look at. But that’s just my opinion.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    John.

3. snowman

snowman Active Member

AOW is easy to get, really it's just 5 additional experience dives, there's no challenge to it, but it does give you the chance to experience those dives in a controlled environment (I'm sure I've made the 'pass plus' comparison before).

If you want to improve your diving skills, whilst progressing, find a friendly BSAC club and progress, at your rate, towards Sports Diver, which as well as giving you a depth progression also gives you a lot more practical skills for any dive.

Whatever you do, enjoy getting back in! :)

M

PS Re a drysuit - I like laminate as it give more freedom of movement, but most seem happy in neoprene. I'm not sure there's really a huge practical difference - Just get one that fits!

4. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Definitely do the AOW. As mentioned, Pass Plus+ is a good alternative name to the Advanced misnomer. It will give you access to an instructor who will give you a review and introduce some additional skills.

Thought: use the AOW as your review 'course'. You may find they'd agree to that for no additional charge.

Drysuit neo vs trilam: no real opinion. Neoprene generally is cheaper and warmer, so less requirement for underclothes.

If you're diving in the UK, use a drysuit. Wetsuits are fine, but they're limited to the peak season. Whilst you're unlikely to dive in a drysuit the whole year around, you will be able to do an early season review, etc. And be warmer.

#5 Wibble, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes i'm sure doing AOW and a single dive to 19m (30m is rare) will give you the skills to go to 30m in the UK :p
    AOW is by far rhe worse course that PADI do and TBH is only worth the effort if it's so cheap that it works out the
    same as just going diving.

I'd do BSAC Sport either at a pro shop or through a club. Unlike AOW this males no claim that you can dive to
    30m on the strength of a single dive and is set at 20m max. If you have not done it already it includes Nitrox,
    Deco, decent dive/gas planning, line laying, SMB & DSMB use and Navigation. It even includes rescue (missing
    from both OW & AOW). Pretty much has all the tools you need for the UK.

Post course and at your own pace you then have the opportunity to do progression to become a true 35m diver.

Prior to the course though any BSAC will do SOR which is Sport Orientation or a review that gets you uptp speed
    if you've had a gap in diving.

BTW i've done PADI AOW and BSAC Sport both as a student and taught it as an Instructor, so no agency bias
    here just that Sport is vastly superior in content to AOW.

7. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Well Guys, I contacted a local LDS and suggested that Iwould like to do the AOW course as a refresher.That went down like a lead balloon I quote.

"I think most of the videos show Divers in warm exotic locations, in endless viz and wetsuits - of course pay me to take you to an exotic location and it will be easier!

The students that we have had this year, have all found parts of the course intensive / a challenge and they have been ‘dived up’ - every diver is an individual, and I want you to get the most out of the course in a safe and enjoyable way."

Yes if you have your own kit it’s far better to use that than school equipment, helps build familiarity. We can lend you cylinders in the price of the course and refresher"

So it seems they weren't very keen on that suggestion.It was that I had looked at a couple of vids of people doing their AOW, it looked easy.But as you
    can see that thought is not the general consensus.

After a further conversation with Mrs PD she agrees with the LDS in as much that she feels it might be "Challenging" She also added that the requirement of going below 18 mts is not reallyneeded. That's coming from someone who has dived to 38mts and SS Thistlegorm and HMS Scylla.

So I think I will take their offer of a refresher session for £35 for the both of us.

Mrs PD did point out that she did her AOW in Sharm straight after her OW.
    I did find their response a little disappointing. Oh well That's Life.

8. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I find the LDS's reaction a bit odd.
    I wonder if it was a case of "here's an old guy we wont be able to sell any more courses to"? - Deep Spec, Rescue, DM etc

Where were they proposing to run the AOW? At Stoney or in the sea? I did my AOW at Stoney a year after OW and it was OK as a "pass Plus" (and we did go to 30m on the deep dive). No way did it qualify me to jump straight into the sea off a UK charter boat, though! That came a year later with the same school, after several more Stoney trips and warm water holiday dives.

9. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I never thought of that . I had no plans to go for any more courses so perhaps they were thinking along those lines. I thought the AOW would be a useful refresher course and that is why I enquired.
    To add another complication is that when I gave my wife an example of a refesher questionaire I found on the net and the fact that I had provisionally booked a refersher for the15th Aug she reminded me that about a month ago she had suffered a ruptured ear drum. Therefore I think all the plans will have to go out of the window and forget it all.

Where the AOW was being run I don't know.

10. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

As long as it's healed properly, she should still be able to dive. Obviously see a doctor about it.

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I had a minor rupture in my eardrum, little more than a pin hole, that was fully healed in two weeks. Speaking to others, they normally sort themselves out in a few weeks. As Jason says, get a doctor to sign it off.

12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yep, I had a ruptured eardrum some years back and it spontaneously healed. I left it a while as I also had a broken finger.

I didn't see a doctor before diving as I figured it was mended because my ears popped when I equalised.

13. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Slight change of plan as Mrs PD can't get to see her Doc for a couple of weeks at least. We are both going to do the theory "Refresher" I will do the practical bit as planned and she will do hers's when okay'd.
    However the Mrs is worried about the theory so has anybody got any idea what questions will be asked. I know this a refresher but she does worry. She's has no issues with the actual diving.

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I shouldn't worry about it, if it's PADI you'll probably pass just for turning up and paying your money.

In all seriousness though do the test, anything she's rusty about they instructor on hand should be able to refresh you/her knowledge. It's not a test/assessment it's a refresher for exactly this reason.

15. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I know that and that's the way I'm treating it, but you know what some people are like. I have actually dug out my old Open Water Manual for her to go through the knowledge reviews. I would have thought those would cover most points.

jb2cool likes this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As you've done, read the manual and look at the review questions.

17. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

After further discussion withe Mrs PD she feels that she has been out of the water far too long to be able to get back in and dive safely. I have explained that is the whole point of doing the refresher but I still don't think she is convinced.
    We will just have to now wait and see if I can convince her otherwise.
    Ce la Vie

18. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member