1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Storage

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Never2old, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM.

1. Never2old

Never2old New Member

morning all

After recently passing my open water PADI.
    I have brought some good quality second hand gear, I was wondering about storage of wet suits and dry suits and how they should be stored.

2. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

My wetsuits hang up in the garage. I dry my drysuit on a "Hangair" then pack it away.

Never2old likes this.
  3. nickb

nickb Active Member

Drysuits hang up in the garage when I'm home (rare). Actually one is in Poland with Santi, having some work done and the Ursuit hangs on the rack on the boat as I use it 6 days/week.

What's a wetsuit? ;)

Never2old likes this.
  4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Easiest for membrane drysuit is to hang from the boots, less likely to damage the neck by
    shoving a hanger through and even wet it still has no real weight.

Neoprene is a different animal as weight can double and more when wet, so not by feet
    and not by hanger either, just drape over a bar.

Regardless of what ANY suit manufacturer says the correct way of storage is with the zip
    open. That's not opinion that's official by the sole source that needs to be respected, the
    ones that make the zip BDM :)

Once dry not a fan of bags as inevitably the bag gets trodden on and can even get attacked
    by vermin who love to use it as a new home. Instead get a plastic box and use that.

Back zip: Lay face up arms out and roll up boots to the neck then flop arms over. Place in
    box with zip open and down.
    Front zip: Lay face down with arms folded on front with zip undone and roll up boots to neck.

In both cases zip is at the bottom which if wet allows to drain and is the biggest curve you
    can, so no danger of folding the zip on itself and breaking the internal cord.

Only thing to watch is that some latex can react with plastic and go liquid so while it's ok
    taking a wet drysuit home in a box before it's washed, not a good plan to leave it there.
    Always pack away fully dry.

PS: A wetsuit zip is vertical and at the back, so hanger is fine. If it's an expensive semi-dry
    many of these have dysuit type rear zip, so all the above for a drysuit applies.

Never2old likes this.
  5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I also keep wetsuits in a garage but ensure they are dry before they go there. If keeping then on hangers (like I do) try to make sure they are wide hangers that support the suit well, skinny hangers will stretch the shoulders. My drysuit lives in the house rather than in the garage rolled up in the bag

Never2old likes this.
  6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

After hosing in the garden my drysuit/wetsuit does a stint hanging by the stairs until dry. It then gets inspected, possibly waxed, and then is packed in the supplied bag (ready for the next outing) and migrates to the garage to join the rest of the dive kit, my bikes and tools. Unlike the dreadful garages some folk tolerate mine does not welcome vermin (even the spiders get nervous and leave), has a dehumidifier (a truly wonderful device) and rubber flooring. My priorities are clear as there is also a radiator that wakes if it gets very cold (or if I plan to spend time there in winter).

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Lucky you, our garage has no power so is cold in winter. My gear has migrated to my office after a soak in the bath and hanging from an old-fashioned dryer in the utility room. The cylinders remain in the garage; when it gets really cold, they'll go into the under-stairs cupboard the day before diving.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

There was no luck involved. When we moved here accommodating the important stuff was paramount. I've done the 'make do' thing with my dive kit and when I had a choice I arranged my life around the things I deemed important. With hindsight I question the remoteness of medical services and instead committed myself to avoid them being important. It'll work until it doesn't :eek: