1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gauge exchange?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by VintageGt, May 11, 2018.

1. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Guys,

I have an Apeks double console and the air pressure gauge is scratched. It’s quite severe and enough that you have to pull the guage closer than you ordinarily would to see what your remaining air is so I can’t tell with a glance without a bit of f*nnying about.

Question is, can a console be taken apart and just one of the two gauges changed or does this spell an entire new console?

Cheers

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The console can typically be taken apart but this really depends of the exact brand and also whether you can get an exact like for like replacement.

What is the other gauge? depth I presume. Do you have a computer? if so then I'd possibly consider ditching the console altogether and switching it out for just a single pressure gauge

Nick Ward likes this.
  3. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Thanks jb.

The other is depth, yeah. I do have a computer but I figured a replacement module would be cheaper than a new single console.

It’s this model.

Attached Files:

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

5. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd do it myself, you just need 2 spanners (and maybe some warm water to soften the rubber of the console housing). It depends how hands-on you are though, I know some people that wouldn't want to touch it.

Watch this, that's as hard as it is.

7. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Spot on mate, thank you.

I’m a sparky so pretty practically minded. I’ll have a go at that. If in doubt I’ll take the bits in a bag to the local dive centre but I’m sure I can handle that.

Really appreciate the advice. Thank you

8. taino

taino New Member

I'd consider also to clean annd polish the 'glass' of the Apeks SPG, so you can still use it for a while.
    Those Apeks SPSs are pretty easy to work on.
    Remove the over pressure plug on the back of the SPG carefully without damaging it.
    Then use a LP air gun and blow the air into the hole.
    Hold a towel or something on the other side and let the air pop out the 'glass' and the holding o-ring.
    Now you can clean or polish the 'glass' or the SPG. Clean the o-ring.
    To put it back together don't lube the o-ring and press the o-ring into the space between the 'glass' and the body with a thin plastic dowel and you are good to go.....

VintageGt likes this.
  9. VintageGt

VintageGt Member

Thanks for that. Definitely worth a shot.