1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Further Training

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Harvey-NG, May 7, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Tim, I see you're able to offer (although not necessarily right now) both a joint decompression procedures and helitrox course, as well as a joint adv nitrox and helitrox - would you recommend one route over the other?

Also, if AN + helitrox is too much of a jump, would fundies cover that gap or is intro to tech better suited in prep for those particular courses since they're from the same agency?

H

2. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Re. training, it’s either AN/DP or AN/Helitrox. The difference between the 2 is the helium aspect.

ITT is not a pre-requisite but it would depend on your current level. If you’ve dived twins before you could go straight in but equally you could have developed bad habits. If you’ve not you could equally go straight in and see how you get on. I operate a deferred pass system so if you don’t meet the standard in certain areas you just reshow those areas. You don’t pay for a new course.

If you wanted to do fundies instead then it wouldn’t do you any harm. As previously discussed it would give you a solid a solid base. Horses for courses really.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Yeah, he wasn’t prepared to lower them enough.

Andy Stevenson likes this.
  4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

We both know he'd have had no problem meeting the highest achievement standard measured in the workshop ('black' is +- 0.3m) as that isn't too challenging for a well sorted technical diver.

Like many BSAC (and other agency) courses the material is well considered but how effective it is delivered reflects more on the instructor than the material. Yesterday I was diving with a BSAC instructor (quite new to CCR) and I am sure his delivery of the course would have been excellent. However, I can think of others who would struggle to meet the lower achievement standards themselves and would utterly fail to deliver a useful workshop.

5. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Ah, I see. I suppose intro to tech is a lot cheaper, but then fundies is so highly recommended.

6. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

I did ITT and AN/Helitrox with Tim last year and he’s a great instructor.
    I went in with no twinset experience at all and the course progression felt very natural.
    His blog’s worth a look too.

Nick Ward, Dave Whitlow and timmyg like this.
  7. AndyW

AndyW Member

I did ITT with Mark Powell before doing AN/He with him. A couple of years later I did a fundies course.

It's difficult to review them / recommend one over the other. People go into theses courses with different experience and look to get different things out of them.

The TDI stuff I did with Mark changed the way I thought about diving (*insert other cliches here*). The ITT course was relatively gentle and, with it being two days, was (as it says) an introduction. It wasn't set up to have you mastering skills. However, once I did the AN/He course later in the year, it completely changed the diving I was doing. I still say that this is, by far, the hardest course I've done. I've used it get some really good dives on wrecks that were previously out of my reach

Fundies was a breeze in comparison, but only because the earlier stuff had given me such a good base to work from.

However, had I done fundies first, I've no doubt that I wouldn't even have considered the AN/He and would have gone for Tech1 instead. Fundies is the better course in terms of the way it's run, structure, content etc.

In short, I've added nothing to the debate. Have a chat with some instructors, find one that you think will work well for you and go for it. If you just want a super solid base of skills for 30m diving then fundies sounds right. ITT to tech on it's own may not do it for you but followed by AN/He opens a lot of doors and lets you get out and build experience with more adventurous diving.

I've seen some really shonky training taking place in the entry level tech kind of area. Find someone who's recommended

Harvey-NG likes this.
  8. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

If I wasn't already busy, I'd be booked in to go to TekCamp in September to do a little bit of 'instructor shopping'.

9. AndyW

AndyW Member

Save your money.. buy a CCR :whistling:

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  10. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I'm putting off a rebreather try dive for as long as possible, I know it's going to take over my life at some point.

11. AndyW

AndyW Member

Honestly, if you're considering it then you need to think about how much you're willing to sink into OC.
    CCR is not the answer for everyone and it's not the best tool for every job.

There's a lot of diving to be done in AN/He type depths that makes sense OC. It's simple and argueably cheaper; but if you're going to jump to a CCR a year later then it's money down the drain.

I wouldn't point anyone towards full trimix on OC unless they're totally commited to GUE (or similar). If you reckon you've got a good few years before you want to start pushing into normoxic type depths then by all means crack on. (although I think the money spent on "tek camp" could be better spent going diving)

12. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

As someone who has done TEKCamp as an attendee when I was already a TDI Instructor, and was safety diver for 3 further events, I wholeheartedly disagree with the above statement.

Ok you done get a c-card at the end of it, but the knowledge and skills you’ll gain across a whole spectrum of areas is not to be sniffed at.

TG

13. AndyW

AndyW Member

I've got no doubt about it being great. I've never been so,in fairness I've got no firsthand experience. If OP is going to do a bunch of courses anyway I'd see it as diminishing returns in terms of value. That £300-£600 ticket would be better spent on boats... imo.

4 days at tek camp + ITT + AN/He
    ITT + An/He + week in Scapa

I know where my money would be.

Although I'm sure I'd like Tekcamp and would benefit from it. I wouldn't choose it to spend my limited money on.

14. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That is generally the opinion from those that haven’t been. For those that have they can’t recommend it enough.

TG

Harvey-NG likes this.
  15. Herrhair

Herrhair New Member

PM sent 're GUE Fundamentals.

Regards

Neil Powell

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Point about AN+DP/Helitrox; the real benefit of this course, IMHO, is to massively extend bottom times on typical recreational depths (30-40 metres). For example an hour bottom time at 30 metres (compared with 30 mins on 32% / 20 mins on air)

17. splinter

splinter Active Member

Resurrecting this thread to add a recommendation for AN & Helitrox, specifically with Rectotec & @timmyg. I did the course last weekend. Tim was a great instructor and we were lucky enough to have a second instructor along called Grant Cooke. They were both really helpful, offering a good mix of instruction, encouragement and motivation.

The course itself was very challenging. The first dives we were learning new skills and the last two putting them into practice, while we suffered 'mysterious' failures and problems underwater. It was unlike any course I've done previously. This was best illustrated in the difference from the first dive, where us 3 students lined up on a platform waiting for the instructor to tell us what to do and the last dive, which was planned by the three of us as a team and we had to deal with any issues as a team.

To anyone thinking of taking the course, I'd say get your core skills squared away first Good buoyancy, trim and finning technique will make it a lot easier. I kind of wish I'd done intro to tech or fundies first, but it's doable without.

I learned loads from Tim and Grant and I reckon this was the most useful course I've done. My kit has been fettled and set up better, my skills have improved and my confidence in both planning dives and dealing with issues is better. I've no hesitation in recommending both it and Rectotec/timmyg for anyone thinking of progressing their diving further.

18. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Cheers for the write up buddy, but regarding your comment about ITT/Fundies, normally I would agree with you but the 3 of you were some of the most solid divers I've seen at dive 1 of this course. Grant and I then had a crossroads to face. Do the minimum to get you a pass (which would have been easy) or really push the 3 of you so you get maximum benefit. That's why on the last dive there were 9 'failures' by me thrown in, not forgetting the 3 real ones you had (primary & backup failure & tangled wet notes).

I also think that the kit 'fettling' is an understatement, especially given that you had already done a course prior to this, but the 3 of you needed it. Because of that it was only 1 dive on day 1 but getting your kit right proved invaluable I think you'll agree.

Safe diving.

TG

Wibble, splinter and Doomanic like this.
  19. splinter

splinter Active Member

I definitely agree about sorting the kit. I thought my harness was setup reasonably close and was surprised by how much we adjusted it. I felt a lot better afterwards and it was a real help with the rest of the course and well worth the time.

I appreciate your comments about being solid divers too. You mentioned this at the time and it was a real encouragement and confidence booster which really helped a lot. The other two students were also a great support and I think the challenges we faced really helped us to become a team by the last dive.

I was exhausted by the end, but really enjoyed the whole course.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

And that is exactly why you choose the instructor.

It ain't open water Tonto! You absolutely need instructors who really know their onions; who will push you beyond the minimum course requirements and who adapt the course on the fly.

timmyg and splinter like this.