1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS: 15l Cylinder

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by Nick Ward, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

15l cylinder - in test till November. Good condition, but well used ;)

£95 ovno

Pics available - pm me your email addy.

Switched up to twin 12s so no longer needed

Collection from LE67 or possibly Stoney (depending on dates)

cheers

Nick

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Keep it. You'll want it for an O2 bank when the inevitable happens and you buy a rebreather. :D

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Defo I lasted 4 months on twin 12s then got a rebreather

4. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

nah - not interested in a 'breather... even if i had the funds to buy one

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

If extended range, or deep, is required then a single is no longer enough gas but .... any dive needing a twinset is better done with a rebreather.

To illustrate this comment I spent an hour on the Pomeranian today with a bit of deco and for the Salsette tomorrow I've merely filled my crack bottle as the rest of the kit is on the boat.

However, if you'd rather haul heavy cylinders around between dives then that is your choice and we can go our separate ways..

6. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

well, thanks for confirming that...

heres me thinking I was was happy with my twinset - thank fcuk you all know me, and the style of diving way better than I do!

JohnL likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A twinset can be nicely split into two sidemount tins for that authentic underground look!

The corollary to Dave's point is that you'll need another twinset soon enough as one's never enough especially as you venture into deeper territory and the gasses get expensive.

8. Dave Whitlow

Whilst it might be appropriate for holes in the ground :)eek:) , sidemount is really not suitable for boat diving. No boat is big enough for the area they seem to require! I think @nickb can add comment here.

That is true if deeper (trimix) diving is happening as mixes are bought for a planned dive and then the weather changes plans and expensive mixes are left unused. It would seem wasteful to dive the Aeolian Sky with the 21/35 back gas bought to dive the Moldavia!

In my twinset days, I had one twinset filled with nitrox, one with trimix (21/35) and twin 16s filled with a richer trimix (16/45) for the deeper wrecks.

However, if you are not likely to go deeper then a single twinset is enough and you can ignore all this. If you are likely to go deeper you probably should ignore it too! :D

For two dive days, where there is a deeper dive first and a drift to follow, I found an extra bottle useful (300bar 12l of 40%) as I could enjoy a longer first dive (without 'saving' gas for the second dive) and then create a useful reserve (of a better mix) for the drift. The resultant mix was normally good for the second day with an air top and the 300 bar also got topped in case it was needed.

(BTW, the gas remaining from the Pom and Salsette this weekend will suffice for a 30m flattie bash by the Shambles Bank on Wednesday)

#8 Dave Whitlow, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

I have no desire to move into mixed gas - the type of diving I can do with the twin 12's is exactly the type of diving I want to do - which, surprisingly, is why I bought them at the start of this year... and nothings changed...

I'll be doing my ADP later this year, which will allow me to continue doing the type of diving I like doing, just with less deco - so the assertions that I will do this, or will do that, whilst I'm sure are well intentioned are well off the mark.

I just want to sell my 15....

Wibble likes this.
  10. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

That's why I have a set of twin 12's and set of twin 7's...

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Tell it to them, Nick - at my advanced years, I have no ambitions to get into deco, get a twin set or go deeper than 30m. One day, I might get a 15l cylinder to get longer dives, but not yet. Each of us decide how we want to dive. But it's only banter from the 'breever crew. :whistling:

Nick Ward likes this.
  12. nickb

nickb Active Member

He can indeed.

Having spent quite some time crewing on UK dive boats, I can safely say that sidemount users are the biggest pain in the arse when it comes to high-maintenance divers. There is no place in UK recreational open-water diving for sidemounts and I won't countenance any argument over that.

Only 1 (one) of the sidemounters I've experienced was fully-independent and didn't require help getting into kit. All of the others required at least some assistance and the biggest problem is the complete lack of any uniformity in kit. It seems that everyone has there own unique setup with bungees, clips and all sorts of ridiculous ways of attaching their tins.

They also seem to require twice the space that everyone else needs.

Then, when they're kitted-up, those with deco bottles in addition to the two bottom gas bottles are too fucking wide to get across the deck without taking chunks of paint out of the boat and to get through the gate/lift without bashing fuck out of everything.

In addition to all that, most are shit divers and all the side-mounting voodoo in the world ain't gonna turn them into dive gods.

A really slick sidemount diver is something pretty special to behold. I've only ever seen a couple of those and neither are members of this board ;)

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  13. Dave Whitlow

Hey John, you'll not hear me knocking the single tank setup. It is uncomplicated and is the ideal configuration for recreational diving. I use it myself for the dives when a rebreather is just silly as anything else is just adding complication without benefit. Having dived them for a number of years I am not a twinset fan.

14. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Weird, I've done over two decades of UK diving with indie twin 12's and the odd stage now
    and again when needed and love them to bits. They are perfect for the type of diving that I do
    and have never felt the need to go RB ever, which would be total overkill :)

Nick Ward likes this.
  15. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Each to their own. Use kit appropriate to the dive , most side mount is just unnecessary here and looks a right ball ache.

@nickb , have you been working on Emily’s boat ? She must love em.

16. nickb

nickb Active Member

Emily always respects the customers’ right to dive with whatever equipment they consider to be appropriate.

Or something......

17. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Must admit, I have been toying with the idea of using 7s as sidemounts on a rib. Should be a piece of piss, no?

I have dived in caves abroad with guides using up to 3 ally 80s as sidemounts who kitted up quicker than me, but there do seem to be a lot of Muppets using the config here. Not sure it's the config that's the problem.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

18. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Also while we're generally abusing divers, I've been on a boat with a couple.of the people in this conversation where a rebreather diver staggered across the deck on the brink of a coronary with much the same cylinders as my twinset just for bailout only to do a dive a bit shorter than mine.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Can’t be me I try to carry as little bailout as poss , as someone carrying no bailout on a 65mtr dive recently said to me “it ruins the dive”

20. nickb

nickb Active Member

We’ve been on a boat together where a rebreather diver staggered across the deck on the brink of a coronary before he was even kitted-up