1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FRONT OR REAR ZIP

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by kevin b, Nov 15, 2018.

1. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Where are the bands now? It could also be an issue with the fitting of your backplate harness.

2. ste

ste New Member

The band's are where they are supposed to be, just under the neck of the cylinders. However, on my bp the holes are lower than on other bp obviously meaning the cylinders are lower on my back if that makes sense?

I played around with my harness yesterday, I loosened it off a little to see if I could kind of shimmy the cylinders up underwater but it wasnt enough!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

An unfortunate design, that takes away the modularity of the system, you'll be restricted in the wings you can use, you'll not easily be able to borrow cylinders from others etc. etc.

4. ste

ste New Member

Yeah it will. To be fair, this is my UK diving rig, I have all my own gear and don't need to rent or borrow anything. It's a 3kg steel bp so I won't be taking it anywhere on a plane I can reach the valves when I'm not in my drysuit, I had it in the pool and it wasn't a problem!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I drove my drysuit back to Dennis last weekend; dropping it off at his home -- he'd given me his address to save more driving.

Tuesday morning I get a call from him about the leak -- he'd been testing it on Monday and the leak wasn't showing. He said he'd investigate more "I work on the principle that if you can't find the leak, you just try harder!".

Thursday morning he called me saying that the leak in the RH sock wasn't showing. He'd left the suit partially filled with water overnight and it was bone dry outside, despite all the weight.

We've agreed for him to replace the fly / convenience zip as this is getting rather warn. Aside from that, I need to do more diving and make doubly sure that I've done the zips up.

Leaks really are a bugger. When I got home from the pool last week I had 50cl of water in the foot. As the pool was very warm, not really sure if it leaked in elsewhere.

Anyway, the point of this ramble is Dennis couldn't have been more helpful.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice warm water in the pool, you probably just wee’d without realising it, that time of life and all :p

JohnL and Wibble like this.
  7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

It’ll be an age thing. Must have forgotten that he received himself.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It was odd. Was wearing very thin under clothes - FE leggings & a rash vest with no socks. Pool was over 30 degrees, so you can't feel any water dribbling in. I spent an hour in that pool, mostly floating on the top or standing in the shallows (was showing a mate some sidemount kit** -- the nearest I've ever got to teaching!). My foot was absolutely sodden after that "dive" and when I got home I had to literally tip the water out of the sock -- a good cupful on the porch.

Dennis suggested that it could have been from further up, maybe the fly / convenience zip which is "getting hairy" and looking worn.

I've noticed for the past few dives (not in that pool!) that my right foot is often quite damp. Not every dive though. The rest of my leg's no more damp than normal. I'm sure I can feel the water in my foot area when finning (tec position with knees bent and frog kicking).

Hence I sent it back to Dennis.

Leaks are a real challenge to sort out!

** He's got a shoulder injury, that's meant he's been diving an inverted twinset to do shutdowns, but struggling even to do that. He's after doing some deeper wreck dives on a specific wreck -- only 50m -- and had to give up because of the shutdown problem. Sidemount looks as if it's the answer, even though it does mean everyone taking the piss ;)

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Ah, meant ‘relieved’, the thought of Wibble ‘receiving’ himself is rather unpleasant.....

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

We often have a similar discussion, but I don’t agree with the ‘tec’ label here. Many of us recreational divers try and fin like this too.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Us recreational divers don't dive in overheads, mixed gas, deco or rebreathers!

What should one call the "tec position" - flat in the water, arms forward, knees bent, feet up?

In the context of this -- searching for a leak -- I would have expected the water to pool in the front of my thighs if it was a fly/convenience zip leak.

12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just say ‘flat trim’ and we’ll know what you mean.

As for ‘tech’ diving, even if I ever find myself doing big big dives that are seriously committing, I’ll still be just a diver doing it as a hobby.

13. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no such thing as a ‘tec’ diving position, never has been. And remembering that trim is appropriate to your surroundings.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  14. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Tec position (1) is standing in front of the 'breather on the boat trying to work out why it is giving an alarm while everyion else goes diving....
    Tec position (2) is standing on the deck of the boat looking at your cylinders that are filled with that expensive mix for the 75 metre dive that got blown out while everyone else goes diving on the backup 25 metre site.

splinter, snowman, Big Joe and 3 others like this.
  15. snowman

snowman Active Member

>> What should one call the "tec position" - flat in the water, arms forward, knees bent, feet up?

Diving?

M