1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flying with kit

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by JohnL, Jul 21, 2019.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Booked up to go to Cape Verde next year and was pottering through FAQs of a dive centre there. The advice was to take your dive computer and depth/contents gauges in your hand baggage as the low pressure in the hold could damage them. Don't remember seeing this advice before and have regularly taken my computer in hold luggage. It sounds quite logical - thoughts?

2. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Actually aircraft holds are held at the same pressure as the cabin, otherwise the cabin floor would collapse. Everything within the round fuselage is at equal pressure... blah blah blah strong cylindrical shape withstands the pressure better etc..

That being said, I tend to take small and more personal items like computers in my hand luggage anyway, just like cycling shoes if I'm cycling abroad, they're harder to replace as they're quite personal. It's not like a computer will take up much space anyway.

3. Chimpus

Chimpus Member

Seeing the way that hold luggage often gets treated/abused/knocked about, I've always taken regs and computer in hand luggage. At least I know its not being thrown around as it might do in the baggage handlers "care".

4. snowman

snowman Active Member

I always take my computer and camera in hand luggage, but regs are too bulky for my hand luggage (Planes would be a much nicer place to be if hand luggage sizes were actually the sort of size that can fit in the overhead lockers!).

I make sure, though, that my regs are protected inside my luggage (usually tucked inside my BCD)

M