1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flying with dive torch batteries

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Snapper5, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Snapper5

Snapper5 Member

Has anyone recently taken their dive torch batteries through airport security? Thought I'd clarify with the airline I'm flying with how the batteries should be taken. What a mistake that was! Our torches use six AA batteries, so I use Enloop NiMH 2500mAh. The airline advises 'all' batteries must be carried in hand baggage, individually taped and bagged to prevent short circuits. But each passenger may only take two each. So add those to the camera batteries...

So, back to my original question...

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've a Light For Me biggish umbilical battery. I put this into my checked in baggage and didn't have problems.

I put my regs, computers, chargers, laptop, tablet, etc. in my backpack. Did get pulled over in security as they couldn't see through the bag -- ended up spreading the contents across four trays!

It strikes me that it's very dependent on the destination. Heard (online chatter & rumours) of some horrid stories of Sharm & Hurgada confiscating batteries.

Make sure there's no LiOn labels!

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I've taken my primary light through in hand luggage with no issues, they didn't even open it, just wanted ot know what it was. I also keep my backup lights on the harness and they go in the suitcase, again, no issues.

If going to Hurgarda then all bets are off. Flying in will be ok as that is kind of controlled by UK security but flying home again they just make up whatever rules they want.

I think the general rules were LiIon needs to be hand luggage but other batteries could go anywhere. Things might be different now though.

4. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I've never struggled getting in/out of Egypt (MAN, LHR, SSH, CAI, HRG) and that's with NiMh, Li-ion, alkaline etc (camera, strobe, go-pro, torch, etc) all in hand luggage. Can't speak for other destinations, but I've never experienced problems at a UK airport.

5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

The rules have become more complicated since the egypt plane went down in the Med. There is concern over LiON batteries causing fires especially some of the cheap badly made ones that are in circulation.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

They were funny about it in January and that was before that plane went down, they were banning all batteries in the cabin, LiIon or not and making sure they were in the hold. Everyone else insists that LiIon batteries go in the cabin (not the hold) to make sure they are under some form of supervision.

I understand the want to not have too many batteries or too large a battery but their made up rules conflict with everyone else's and simply don't make sense.

7. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Until the reason for the plane going down is found its a problem. In the hold and accidental damage through rough baggage handling compared to deliberate and malicious damage of the batteries to create an incident in the cabin. Add this to the somewhat arbitrary rules that some airports have regarding extracting more money out of travelers. Divers and photographers travel with a lot of batteries.

Snapper5 likes this.
  8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I normally carry my umbilical primarily light and video light in my hand luggage. Also more video lights in hold luggage (I remove the rechargeable Li-ion packs but they are still in my hold luggage). I often remove the 6 C cells from my backup lights and buy them in duty free - but only to keep weight down, when its not needed I leave them in - and like Jason leave them attached to my harness. Now I ALWAYS take everything out of my carry on and place in trays, this includes regs, lights, bottom timer, everything - I use a lot of trays. Its just not worth the hassle to do otherwise. I make sure its an empty bag going through the machine.

A year last christmas I forgot my tekna knife was in my jacket pocket at stansted, and I pointed this out to the security before I went through, and they were fine said keep it. Coming through Mexico security a month ago they stopped me with my Focus - but they were only interested in the tekna that I forgot to take off the goodman handle.... confiscated and went into the bin lol. Initially they asked me disassemble the focus - then they said something about a secret compartment with a blade.....then I realised and showed them it wasn't inside. Phew!!! x

Edit: TSA had no probs with my lights or luggage at all x

9. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hi all,

Picking up on an old thread as off to the Red Sea at Christmas (blue o two, monarch flights). Anyone done this recently? What was the situation? What goes in the hold and what in hand luggage for an easyish life? Will the battery in my gas pressure transmitter on my regs upset them?

10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I actually mean Thomas Cook - not Monarch!! (Probably a good thing!!)

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

in the transmitter should be fine. Torches, they'll likely want them in the hold