1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floaty feet

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by BabyShark, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:55 PM.

1. BabyShark

BabyShark New Member

Hi guys,

After buying an Apeks RK3 and trying them in the pool, I realized that although they’re great, I got floaty feet with them (in comparison to an Atomic Blade). Maybe my back finning technique is horrible, but with the atomics I didn’t get upside down. On a 5mm the effect is slightly better than on a 7mm wetsuit. I can manage to keep my trim by looking up, but it’s some effort and still back finning breaks my trim. To be fair, I am using a 6.5mm neoprene boot with 2mm neoprene socks for a total of 8.5mm of neoprene on my feet.

Now that’s on fresh water so in salt water I guess the effect will be worse. I am going to Malta in less than 2 weeks.

I am looking for alternatives to avoid ankle weights:

1) Buy heavier fins - would the Apeks RK3 HD version be better? I’d like to avoid spending too much now, but since I will be diving dry suit next year, it might be something to consider in the long term.
    2) Use rock boots or common shoes/trainers that are negatively buoyant. Maybe with my 2mm neoprene socks for thermal comfort.
    3) Put some sand inside my neoprene boots. There is some room there.
    4) use neutrally buoyant boots or socks to get rid of the neoprene. I know of some neoprene substitute materials out there but not sure about that for boots or socks.
    5) Maybe I can tie down some flat lead inside my fin pocket to add a little weight but I don’t know where I could buy something like that. There is also some room in my fin’s foot pocket to put some soft weight inside it but don’t know if that would work.

Any advice?

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

What weight are you carrying and where? Integrated weight pockets, belt, trim pockets? Is there any you can move about to move your centre of gravity ie move closer to your feet?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, use Ankle weights

If you have neoprene boots, socks, suit etc. then sure you may have floaty feet and while some of this
    can be mitigated to a degree with variable techniques. once these are exhausetd, the bottom line is if
    you are positivly buoyant at the feet you need to either reduce what is making you buoyant or add more
    weight.

The BS surrounding AW is because is they are often cited as a visual reference of someone who has paid
    no heed to buoyancy and trim. This BS ignores the fact and it is fact, that these are an inanmate object that
    can be used as much by a diver that has fully considered trim and buoyancy and preferes to use this option
    as much as it's a muppet who has no clue.

I have no problem using ankle weights when needed, but that's whilst being fully aware that they are NOT
    an excuse for poor bouyancy trim. The best way to deal with negatives is to use ankle weights and still have
    trim like a Ninja :)

PS: To show what BS this is, I know a fairly well-known technical Instructor that uses lead sheet in velcro
    wrap around pouches that are worn inside the drysuit. He is very vocal about not using ankle weights :p

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Kind of agree with @Tel but only after every other option has been exhausted. Most people I’ve seen with ankle weights don’t have the best trim or buoyancy skills.

Adjust your cylinder lower (assuming a single + BCD) or use a tail weight with a twinset. Some people use 'gaiters' to stop air migration to the feet.

Does your drysuit have wellies fitted?

5. BabyShark

BabyShark New Member

My drysuit will be delivered only in December, and the floaty feet experience I had was with my neoprene wetsuits. I imagine that it’s going to be worse in the drysuit. I tried moving the cylinder lower (that helped a bit) but my head position had more beneficial effect (although a little tiring and bumping a bit into the regulator). I’m able to do helicopter turns, frog and flutter kick, but back finning was a little awkward.

I use an Apeks steel backplate (2.2kg) with Apeks sta (0.5kg), and 2 x 0.5kg trim weights attached to the lower part behind my backplate and don’t need any weight belt. I also put my canister battery between my crotch D ring and the backplate, so to move my center of gravity lower and free my waist of clutter. That works well with empty cylinder (I can hover with no air in bc) and with full cylinder I can swim up to the surface easily.

I’m thinking on moving my trim weights to my ankle as a cheap option to adjust my trim.

I guess I can also move the cylinder a bit lower if I don’t use the cam band on the sta and instead use the wings holes, they are a bit lower.

I am not really concerned with what other people will think but I imagine the feeling of something lose or around my ankles is not nice. I tried a thigh pocket that wrapped around my thigh and hated it because it kept moving and was more of a distraction than beneficial. I guess I will have to try to see.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Another thought is if you could move the wing up higher - might be able to use a different hole in the backplate.

BabyShark likes this.
  7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If they are lose they've not been fitted right and considering the number of divers that forget they
    have them on when removing a drysuit, you just forget that you are even wearing them :)

A lot put the clip on the front for access, but this puts all the weight oin the back where it can get
    in the way of fin clips, so do it up at the back with weight in front. Spend time adjusting so it's just
    right and even mark the spot on the webbing so you know if it's moved. Now you can just clip up
    and go knowing it's adjusted right.

#7 Tel, Nov 9, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    BabyShark likes this.
  8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Quick answer ; I agree with Tel.

I use the same fins. I bought them because my feet were too heavy on ccr. If your diving will move to predominantly dry suit when it arrives I’d just try some ankle weights as a cheap hopefully effective solution for now. If that works it’s upto you if you want to spend the money on some scuba pro jets, or alternatives, that will be negative.
    Don’t rush into expensive fins until you’ve put a number of dives on the dry suit. If your new to DS diving it’ll all feel weird for a while anyway. Play around with what you’ve got or borrow. Once you’ve got a solution then spend if you want.

BabyShark likes this.
  9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

What sort of dry suit have you got coming? If you've got a made to measure with the correct size boots, there is little opportunity for air around your feet - I had floaty feet problems with borrowed suits as the boots were always too big. I now dive with RK3s in a crushed neoprene suit and it's just right.

10. BabyShark

BabyShark New Member

It’s a Santi Emotion plus MTM. The boots are about right with artic socks.

If using gaiters, would make sense to add some lead sheets to them? That would stop air flowing down my legs and would also help trim.

Any gaiters or ankle weights recommended?

11. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

If staying on OC get some firmer, heavier fins. I tried some RK3s and for me they were shit. Like trying to fin with damp cardboard strapped to my feet. Floaty and horribly ineffective for manoeuvring compared to my Jet Fins.