1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Showa 660 size 9/Large to Kubi 80mm Glove Ring (Cotton Lined Gloves)

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by becky9, Apr 3, 2018.

1. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Just a quick demo using the Sistema Lid Top Ring. Smaller size gloves have positives and negatives - harder to get on the ring, but don't suffer creasing issues around the O-ring. Larger Gloves are easier to get on the ring but you have to be careful about creasing around the O-ring.

I have a video how to make the ring, its pretty straight forward. Its basically cut the lid off, tidy it up and cut a perendicular slit in the ring..... but there are a few caveats which are prolly worth looking at, aslo a few tips in getting it to work. Just need to tidy the video. x

NickPicks, nickb and Wibble like this.
  2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

P.s. Having the right size ring makes all the difference, its so easy, I can prolly fit showas quicker than g17ks x

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It looks so easy... when you do it:)

Thanks.

4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

No worries.

It really is - honest. I wanted a way that pretty removed the 'knack' of doing it. My previous method needed a bit of learning curve - and as you tend not to replace the gloves that often you simply forget the skill. Hence with this there isn't really much in the way of skill - pretty much the O-ring falls in the groove all on its own! x

5. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Edit: Its obviously been done before, diving concept thing does it. It was just finding a suitable off the shelf bit of plastic, just the right size and properties, that needed minimal effort to make work x

6. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Another Glove Club Video lol, forgive the color strobing, I forgot to lock the wb.

The problem with Gloves of pretty much all types - if you go up sizes is that the fingers get longer - both on the Kubis and the Showas. That just makes for a pain because you have flappy ends of fingers that all too easily get caught in bolt snaps. However if you buy the right size in a different model of showas - e.g. the 460 (albeit they are orange!) you don't get this issue. I struggle to get santi liners in a size 9 showa 660, but in a size 9 460 its not a problem. If you want to go even bigger - showa 490s are bigger still (but because they are triple dipped they are less dextrous).

So why the fuss over Showas, they seem really bulky? Interestingly I thought the same, but until you dive them with a bit of water pressure you don't realise how good they are. They are thicker, so both more durable and warmer. Great for signalling - I used to turn my Marigold G17k inside out so they were white on the outside and and a less 'sticky' surface. Showas are bright - great for caves and dark wrecks, and great for teaching, they also are less 'sticky' than rubber Marigolds becuase of the smoother surface.

Ahem enough of the sales pitch. Try them, you will be surprised.

660s are great for when you don't need really thick liners, and 460s for when you need something thicker in the winter...... 490s for when you really want to roll out the thick gloves.

Incidentally 460s are available with the liners already removable - these are called 465s, and the same applies to 490s with 495s (the actual gloves DUI use). However these are a lot more expensive and more difficult to find. x

Harvey-NG and nickb like this.
  7. nickb

nickb Active Member

I chuckled at the other hand coming in to remove the discarded yellow liner :)

becky9 likes this.
  8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I had the edit the video to remove the argument that ensued lol :D x

9. martinlonguk

martinlonguk New Member

Nice one becky9. Do you have another video for fitting them to smart seals? ;)

10. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Thanks. Lol I do, but its a bit of a work in progress atm.

IMG_9074.JPG IMG_9075.JPG IMG_9071.JPG IMG_9072.JPG IMG_9073.JPG IMG_9076.JPG

Edit: In the Interim theres the method I describe on the Smart Gloves Thread. x

martinlonguk likes this.
  11. martinlonguk

martinlonguk New Member

You're an absolute star. Thanks!

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ooh, red/orange gloves -- nice change from Smuf Blue.

Excellent photos & tips - thanks @becky9

13. nickb

nickb Active Member

When you absolutely have to co-ordinate with the NDAC ladders, accept no substitute....

[​IMG]

JohnL and Wibble like this.
  14. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

15. martinlonguk

martinlonguk New Member

Awesome demonstration. Thanks

Question... How much do you think your dispute with the smartgloves is down to the system, and how much is down to your glove experimentation?

I guess one thing that concerns me a bit is that the whole thing seems to be one big o ring. What's the longevity going to be like. How quickly will they go hard and crack?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

16. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I originally dived the gloves just over a week ago for the first time. In terms of water tight, they were perfect. I omitted any kind of equalisation strings or tubes, and they were completely airtight too - in fact when I surfaced I'd had air migrate through my seals into the gloves and I'd got pressurised glove "balloons" on my hands!

These were the Showa 460s that I'd fitted with my ring method ( in the photos I posted yesterday).

I must confess I struggled with actually attaching the gloves to the suit, they just seemed cumbersome compared with the kubis that I've been using for the last 4 years or so. This got worse this weekend gone, I'd taken to licking the inside of the rings (as I'd licked the o-rings on the kubis). I had one of the gloves leak on Saturday, but this was pretty much towards the end of the dive, as I'd actually slipped and fallen into the water banging myself up in the process I put this down to my own stupidity in falling in.

Next day I switched the right glove over and it leaked again (licked the inside of the ring again!). I managed to mostly dry the glove after that dive, but this time when I dived again I lubed the ring with silicone grease. This time no leaks (that I could tell - they were a tiny bit damp from the previous dive).

I think I should have lubed them straight away, but I guess time will tell.

My gripes about the system are how bulky it is. The dry glove insert for the smart seals sticks out in front of the cuff by a good 2.5cm ish. From the back of the smart seal to the end of the cuff insert it makes for almost 7.5cm. Whilst it is flexible, it's not exactly soft - it's quite hard really. The last dive on Sunday my right hand was most uncomfortable- the ring was digging against the back part of my thumb.

I will persevere, the wet gloves thing doesn't worry me, I think the lube and me getting used to fitting the gloves to the suit will solve that.

I think my main thoughts at the moment - I've heard numerous complaints about the kubi rings saying that they are rigid. Those people that are happy that the new smart glove system is flexible are kidding themselves. As they are the flexibility infers no real advantage but the bulk in implementing this "flexibility" makes them much more cumbersome than the kubi hard rings. x

martinlonguk likes this.
  17. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'm 100% certain that the helper ring method is a much more reliable way of sealing the gloves, it is however more of a faff at the moment than the 'Santi method' ( I'm working on it ;) ) x

martinlonguk likes this.
  18. martinlonguk

martinlonguk New Member

Great useful info. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

19. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Its a bit rough, but it should be more than enough to get the main points. x

20. Owen

Owen New Member

100% works Becky....brilliant method! Always used Showas with KWTT rings before but have never got on with Kubo gloves. Glad to be able to go back to these

[​IMG]

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

becky9 likes this.