1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing...???

Discussion in 'Wildlife and Ecology' started by minus273degrees, Mar 23, 2015.

1. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

Well not quite but close ish...

I have seen people mention collecting the american cray fish from quarries, and someone else mention the collection of scallops on the coast.

Is this easy to do? Does it take any extra skills or equipment etc?

Something I'd like to give ago, not only for the edible value, but adds a new interesting dimension to diving.

2. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash Active Member

Hey,
    In the Blue Lagoon in Bletchley they encourage you to take as many as you can. I think its purely technique. I wasn't too good at it, but some of the people in the club were literally comig out with 100+.
    All you need is a mesh bag for crays... and approach them very quickly from behind.

3. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

Just has a look at that do you go very often? Fancy a trip some time? Its really close by for me.

4. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Scallops are easy. Pick them up and stick them in a bag. Hardest part can be seeing them sometimes supposedly!

Just make sure you check locally with the other divers etc as you need to make sure they are of a certain size (not too small).

5. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash Active Member

Hi Minus,
    Yes its not far away... but tbh I have only been there twice. Not the best dive site around IMO. Nothing much to see other than crays and shopping trolleys!!
    Never say never though!

6. Richard65

Richard65 Active Member

You could import a few Lionfish to spice things up in your puddles. They taste goooood.