1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First set of regs....

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by LJDiver, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

[/QUOTE]
    That's because I find them reliable and I'm still alive to tell you that :)

You absolutely must have a SPG (submersible pressure gauge) which you'll regularly be checking underwater to make sure that you've enough gas left

I'd still go Apeks. The DS4's are actually Dry Sealed with 4 ports. This means that if you're swimming around in crap (mud, rust, sand, etc.) they don't get any inside. Scubapro Mk25s have holes in them to let the water pressure inside; not a fan of that. Scubapros also said to be more complex to service.

On dive boats, particularly the technical ones, you'll see they're mostly Apeks. Simply that they're good value for money and reliable.

Oh, and don't fall for the marketing BS. You don't need the greatest invention that's been pulled out of some designer's jacksie -- those crazy expensive Apeks new things are no different underwater than the DS4 & ATX40, except they're three times the price! Same for Scubapro.

In fact buying those £300 regs mean you don't need to worry about them for a couple or three years. Second hand will normally need a service which will be circa £80 (which you need to factor in if you find a set).

2. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Yeh I get that. What I meant was that the guage in the set is as good as any other, ie no reason not to get the set with the guage vs leaving it out and buying a different guage separately...?

I think this forum has helped make my decision easier!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The gauge in that photo looks fine.

It’s a good solid starter kit. Should you go on to more demanding diving those regs will go with you - would work on a stage, half a twinset, oxygen clean, etc.

It is interesting that we’re all pretty much united in recommending Apeks DS4s and ATX40s.

Fins and BCDs might split the field though :)

LJDiver likes this.
  4. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

Think I'll be looking at BCD's next :)

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

My Regulator "journey" has been:
    Borrowed/hired sets from the club - some Apeks, some Scubapro, some Mares. They all worked.
    I bought a set (of Apeks DS4/ATX40s) from a bloke on an internet forum. He'd serviced them just before selling them to me.
    About 5 years later, I switched to using a twinset. I bought a new DS4 first stage and a long hose, and reassembled the original set to a twin setup.
    (I decided to get the original set serviced about this time, although they were still working perfectly.)
    Then I did an Accelerated Deco course, so got a stage cyloinder, which needed another DS4 and XTX40 (bought second hand, from a guy on an internet forum)

Basically, even though my configurations have changed a few times, I'm still using the second hand regs I bought 6 years ago.

Wibble and LJDiver like this.
  6. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

Fixed that for you ;)

jb2cool likes this.
  7. LJDiver

LJDiver Member

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The same here except I ditched the Scubapro regs -- although I kept two Mk25 first stages for sidemount (use Apeks second stages) as their hose routing is better for that.

BTW there's no point in buying the xxx50 versions (e.g. ATX50, the 100, 200, etc.) which have the little 'flow adjustment' knob. It's more complex an you never use it!

LJDiver likes this.
  9. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

I've always brought second hand, unless as per the links I gave you earlier show prices cheap enough it would be wiser to buy new.

*except after about 7 years of diving I finally new what I wanted and started to buy new I still prefer a second hand bargain though especially as most of my diving involves rust and I always seem to get covered in those little bugs from the mud!

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Meant to add that the Apeks regs are 300 bar compatible. Most other regs are, but some of the warm-water recreational ones may not be.

DIN's the best; avoid A-clamps

11. Chimpus

Chimpus Member

Another tick up for Apeks regs and also for 4th Element. They were very helpful and their prices on Apeks extremely good value.

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

How has a "what regs" thread reached 2 pages? Even @Wibble knows the right answer to that question! :woot:

13. snowman

snowman Active Member

I've always had Scubapro regs (although I now have a, growing, collection of A-Clamp Conshelfs - Bloody lockdowns!) and find them fine.

Two HP ports are quite nice if you ever think you might use the regs for a twinset.

My original regs are now part of the regs I keep for my twinsets, and the position of two ports means I can use the same first stage model on both cylinders, which won't be as easy (but probably not impossible) with a single port - I'm not going to open the 'hose routing' can of worms, I just go with what works for me :)

M

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

How so? Can you explain that please?

15. snowman

snowman Active Member

They're usually on opposite sides of the 1st stage, so make it easier to route hoses (at least that's what I found when I initially used a 1st stage with just one).

M

Doomanic likes this.
  16. Doomanic

Staff Member

Makes sense, thanks.