1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First BP&W setup £3-500 budget? (or XDeep Ghost)

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Gaz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Take your own belt and use their weights.
    Hire belts can often be too long or worse too short, buckles that stick or jam, furry webbing that's
    way too slack. have creases where weights have been all the time, no retainers of any sort so lead
    migrates or lead whacked on so it doesn't move, but is in the wrong place.
    Take your own belt, it's the right length and with a few retainers can have the lumps just where you want.

Can also use a pouch belt that you can add lumps or shot too on site. These are wider so can grip
    a bit better if you have no hips.

2. Gaz

Gaz Member

Ace - thanks guys, I'll nip to a LDS and try some. Usually find that the second I start to decent and the neoprene squeezes that the belt starts to slip and, as Tel says, the rental buckles are never great.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't forget the other big advantage :)

A hire belt that looks the same as everybody else on the boat/bus/pickup etc.
    will inevitably get grabbed by mistake leaving a belt that's too heavy, too light
    or too small. Worse some scrote decides to remove a lump and you don't notice
    until it's too late.

Nobody takes divers own weightbelts :)

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Look at a harness, rather than a belt - weights don't move in the water and are carried on the shoulders on shore.

5. AndyW

AndyW Member

Weight harnesses are a right ball ache under a lovely streamlined one piece harness. All those straps flapping about.

You shouldn't need a huge amount of lead with the new setup. I use 2kg in my single rig and 5mm wetsuit but thats with a SS backplate so guess at a couple more.
    You can really easily thread the blocks through the cambands and then leave 1-2kg on a standard belt.

With so little weight I'd be amazed if you had any issues with the belt. My preference is to put the weight belt under the harness so it's secured further by the crotch strap.

People's thoughts on ditchable weight differ wildly but its a no brainer for wetsuit stuff imo.

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I dived with 6kg around my waist on my first dive yesterday, then dropped it to 5kg and could possibly lose another 1kg.

That was in cold fresh water so in the sea abroad I'll be adding 2-3.

Obviously I'll be wearing smaller undies but will only have a 12l cylinder when on holiday, so that all needs to be considered.

FYI I'm about 13-14 stone and wear a membrane suit. My old 5mm neoprene thing needed 9kg with a BCD in fresh water.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Pouches on cambands. Puts the weight central and you can unzip the pouches to remove and replace the weight blocks when swapping cylinders.

IMG_0103.JPG

Putting the weight low, on a belt, can affect trim. On the cam bands gives a nice flat trim.

8. Gaz

Gaz Member

Thanks guys - again more lovely information. I'll dig out my log to see what I was wearing last time. Still need to calculate the buoyancy to make sure the 14kg wings I'm looking at will be enough. Just started to plan a big shopping trip round the various shops in the North West to get the bits - couple of weeks away but I'm chomping at the bit.

My old BCD was never man enough to use trim weights (single flimsy cam band and my heart was in my mouth every time I stood up with the tank on)

Is it acceptable to simply thread the trim wights directly onto the cam band - or are pockets a better idea? I've seen something called "weight retainers" which look like triglides which I guess hold the weights in position on the band.

Fancy a couple of KG on the tank, obviously non-ditchable, but if I can just stick them on the strap it saves me buying pouches. Gets a bit of weight off my (non) hips.

The new rig will definitely have twin cam bands - haven't decided between stainless or plastic buckles - I'll probably go plastic.

PS: Obviously I'll post the full kit up here once I've assembled it all. Have 4-weeks now before I fly and I'll be lugging it around Hawaii (Maui and the Big Island) in a rucksack for a few weeks so we'll see how much my weight-loss ideas help. Sometimes I wish I was into resorts - then I could forget the weight and get a roll-along suitcase like a sensible person.

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You can thread blocks directly onto the cam band but it so much easier not to have to and to just be able to pop them in a pouch. If threading on you don’t need weight retainers as the tension of the cam band against the cylinder keeps it secure.

A 30lb wing will be fine. If you are correctly weighted you don’t need more.

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I received my trim pouches from China yesterday, delivery took eight days and they cost about a tenner, so far cheaper than anything available in the UK.

Quality appears decent with a Velcro + buckle closure.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Tenner each or for four?

Main benefit is it's much easier to swap cylinders for the second dive. Whilst 4 or 6 kg isn't a lot, it's awkward and adds to the faff. Unzipping and removing the blocks massively reduces faff.

12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I was a rather unclear - there £10 or so for four of them.

I was a little foot heavy the other day so these should help. Gives me some options for distribution anyway.

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a good deal. Got a link to them?

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

jb2cool likes this.
  15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Very interesting discussion. As my next move is likely to be to a single wing, I will work through it as leisure. As I had authorisation for £500 to go to Malta, I could divert this to a wing with stainless steel backplate for UK diving and a light one for travel.

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

@JohnL the beauty of this is that you can keep the same wing throughout and then just change the backplate (should you wish). There are other weighting strategies available like weighted single tank adaptors, pouches on the cylinder cam-bands and P-weights (plate-weight) that sit in the channel of the backplate so if you were to get an aluminium plate for travel I myself would stick with that for UK and work with it rather than having 2 differnet backplates/harnesses.

17. John F

John F Member

I got a good deal last year, on Ebay. a dive rite harness with quick release mount and a big wing ( i think a bit too big, as it's hard to reach the values) with twin 12L and Apex ATX regs, all in test and for £600. well pleased but i might change the wing.
    John F

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How are you getting on with it?

19. John F

John F Member

Hi Wibble,
    I do like it, just hard to reach the valves as the top of the wing is too high. can you recommend a good wing for twins?

20. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

John. What size is the wing? 40/50/55/60lb. It may be too big. But there could be a number reasons why you cant reach you valves.

PS. I do have a full Halcyon set for sale which I’ll advertise tomorrow.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk