1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First BP&W setup £3-500 budget? (or XDeep Ghost)

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Gaz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've just put my holiday bp&w together for a trip to Lanzarote in a few weeks.

It consists of an Ali backplate and a two piece lightweight Ali STA from Dynarob over on TDF, a one piece harness with three D rings, two trim weight pockets on the top camband, a small pocket on the right hip to stick a dsmb and spool in and a Frog indigo wing (IST do a virtually identical wing). It weighs about 2.3 kg.

I can't remember exactly what it all cost as some bits are out of my spares box, but I reckon it was under £300.

Should be some photos attached.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Mako-JD and Wibble like this.
  2. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Nice. I love my frog wing also :)

3. Gaz

Gaz Member

Guys - thank you very much. You've knocked this out of the park in terms of advice.

Points re: using a simple, basic BCD are fully noted but I'm going to make the move to a BP&W (eek!).

TG - that's a great couple of links

Splinter - your setup would suit me perfectly - pocket for SMB and the trim pouches too.

So…………… based on the advice in the above and a bit of googling, I've come up with the lightest setup I can find. I'll try and drop the price a bit by looking for used parts

The lightest with a metal backplate: 1.98kg £445 (basic rig only)
    1. Harness: Mares XR Heavy Light - aluminium hardware with a stainless buckle £50, I hate the branding on the webbing, but I'll live with it. Weight unknown but should be approx 600g. If I can find another harness with aluminium hardware I'll get that instead.
    2. Backplate: S40 from Custom Divers, £90, 400g
    3. Wing: DIRZone Ring 14 Light (no need for STA) - £305, 980g. Aesthetically, not my favourite so I may sacrifice a bit of weight and go for a Hollis
    4. Cam Bands and pouches, yet to source.

The above is very similar to the Peanut set suggested by TG

So the next step is to relax a bit, copy the above ideas and to bring the cost down. This is where the great tip on Red Hat diving comes in:

I'll buy one of their adjustable harnesses and aluminium backplate and will swap out the stainless hardware for aluminium - should end up about the same weight as the Mares one, but much cheaper. I'll turn the standard backplate into a dog bone one in my workshop (will only take an hour to mark and cut - my air nibbler will cut the aluminium perfectly and leaves a lovely smooth cut). £85 plus aluminium hardware for the harness (£10).

For the wing, there seem to be loads around for circa £200 - red hat, Apeks D18, Hollis S25 etc. Most seem to be in the 1.5kg range, so I'll keep shopping around.

But, I think I'm nearly there! Thanks for being so patient with me while I got my head around it

Thanks again everyone. When I get the bits, I'll post pics.

splinter likes this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

Are you kidding! Nothing a bunch of divers like more than waffling about their kit!!

Have fun shopping. Looking forward to seeing the backplate after you've altered it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I've just gone down the Red Hat wing, aluminium back plate and OPH route for a holiday.

Will be interesting to see whatbitball weighs in at.

I'll be taking my drysuit and Jetfins so could be a struggle....might have to leave the big torch at home.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For the backplate; they're all very much of a muchness. Quick look on eBay has the RedHat coloured ones for £61 new.

Randomly, the £485 XDeep Ghost is allegedly 2.3kg! - https://www.dirdirect.com/XDeep-Ghost-System.html

Regarding the harnesses; a simple one-piece is as simple as it comes and cheap. The adjustable ones do add complexity and a load of unnecessary 'features'. A one-piece is very simple to adjust when required which is rarely once set up.

Have fun.

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My travel wing used for both singles and wing stuff was a Stripped down Zeagle Tec with no
    integrated crap, pockets or d-riings etc.

Funnily enough nowdays Zeagle do the same out the box with the Zeagle Express :)

Lightweight, does everything and runs out at around £275 for the lot.

[​IMG]

PS: Just looked at the weight of this, it's 2.27kg !!!!! and not £275 is actually £236 :)

#27 Tel, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@Gaz

Actually due to replacing some of my kit (just keeping it fresh-nothing wrong with it), I may have a Halcyon Ali BP & OPH, plus a Light Monkey 30lb Wing & Ali STA going spare at the end of the week. I can update you by the weekend with pictures if you want.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Weigh it too if possible. It'd be interesting to see what a normal setup would weight vs a special travel setup.

10. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ll be replacing it with the standard Tecline travel set. No STA will reduce the weight. I’ll not be using the weight pockets on the set however. I’ve just replaced my twinset harness & wing also & those will be for sale this week. Makes sense to dive kit I have accounts with.

I’ll weigh it all tonight.

TG

11. JasonP

JasonP Member

I just take my normal steel backplate with an Apeks D30 and a STA I got way, way back. It means I only need a weightbelt of a couple of pounds and the weight of the plate nicely offsets the floatiness of a half empty ally 80 cylinder. I had 16kgs hold luggage and 12kgs hand luggage for the 10 day trip I just did. That's well under BA's weight limit.Would be more of an issue with someone like Thomas Cook or Thomson.

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Dived the 30lb wing etc for the first time with my 15l today.

It feels much more stable than my old BCD, as you'd expect, so well worth the initial investment and a bit of faff to set it up.

Back finning etc feels more efficient than with twins. Nice and light to kit up with, generally a pleasant way to dive.

Can't wait to use it properly!

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Try sidemount for stability!

14. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

3.07kg

[​IMG]

To the OP, if you’re interested please let me know as I have others interested.

Edit. That was with the Halcyon wing which the wife is having. I’ll be moving on her Light Monkey.

TG

15. Gaz

Gaz Member

@TG.

Thank you very much for the first refusal, much appreciated. I think I'd like to shop around for some new parts (its half the fun) - so please feel free to let it go to one of the other parties. Lovely equipment though - I've just had a google of the names you mentioned.

16. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No worries. You’re correct though it is good stuff.

PS, If you do need webbing, harness, clips etc give me a shout also.

TG

17. Gaz

Gaz Member

Slightly OT:

But how do most people attach weights to a BP&W rig?

I appreciate a belt sourced locally would be the most obvious route, but I'm an odd shape (no hips) and always find that the belt slips down, so I have to wait for the suit to compress then do it up so tight it pinches my flab in. Obviously a couple of pouches on the cam band can help with trim but is there a lightweight way of adding one's main weight to the DIR harness? (I appreciate this is where a stainless plate comes in handy). For example is there a strap system that can attach the lead directly to the harness?

18. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Trim pouch to the cam bands

TG

19. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

You can get dumpable pouches that attach to both the cam band and the backplate as Timmy says, or use a standard weight belt which all dive centres have so you won't have to take anything additional with you on your travels. A third option of putting weight in the single tank adaptor isn't really viable for travelling.

20. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The set that I posted a picture of in post #20 has ditchable pouches on the harness & trim on the cam band.

Sent from my iPad using Timmytalk