1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First BP&W setup £3-500 budget? (or XDeep Ghost)

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Gaz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Gaz

Gaz Member

Hi folks.

I'm about to order the first bit: the backplate.

After considering a few backplates: EXD Ultralight, Custom Divers S40, and a hand-cut version of the Red Hat Aluminium… I've just learnt something else: Single tank adaptors

I thought that the requirement for a Single Tank Adaptor was determined by the design of the wing (many are advertised as not needing a single tank adaptor). But on Huw Porter's page I learned about "H-profile" backplates - with a recessed attachment point - which would imply that the backplate determines the need for a STA or not (I'll only ever dive single tank on this kit).

Hmmm… confused.

The Wing I want to order is the DIR Zone Ring 14 Light and apparently it has "a built in STA with slots" or "Part of the wing are also 2 pieces of rubber pins in the middle area of wing which allow to attach the single bottle WITHOUT the need to use single tank adapter."

I confess I'm not really sure how this works - I would guess the pair of rubber strips support the tank and you could sandwich the wing between the backplate and cylinder with the cam bands. I think I would prefer to have the plate an wing bolted together if this makes sense.

BUT (drum-roll)…………. I found a lightweight, bone shaped aluminium backplate (like the EXD and S40) which also has the H-haped profile like Huw Porter mentions. And the best bit is that its from one of our forum members - @timmyg its the Tecline H Aluminium backplate - you mentioned a UKD discount earlier on (…he humbly mentions), feel free to PM me.

So if I'm using both the Tecline backplate (designed for no STA) and the DIR Zone Ring 14 Light (also designed for no STA) - would the two systems complement each other, or would there be any sort of conflict? Am I right in thinking I could bolt this back plate to this wing? I'm sincerely hoping that there is some standardisation in the spacing of the mounting holes.

If anyone could point me towards a suitable set of bolts (I could just get some from the workshop, but it would be easier if they were already the correct length/material.

Thank you.

2. Gaz

Gaz Member

aaagh… and I've just discovered the Tecline plate comes in two sizes, 'standard' and 'mini'.

[​IMG]

I'm 5'9 if that helps at all?

3. Gaz

Gaz Member

PS: I've also decided on the Mares Heavy Light harness. I did price up getting a standard harness and replacing the rings/tri-glides with alloy versions, but it would have been more than the £50 Mares want for their complete set-up.

I still hate the branding - I might try and find a way to flip the straps or to remove/colour the lettering.

Harness = 350g. Backplate (I assume the standard size) = 525g. So a whole, basic 'Hogarthian' (I hope I'm using that term correctly) harness setup for 875g.

If the DIR Ring 14 Light (980g) works with this setup (TBC in posts above), then this will give a basic BP&W at a total weight of 1.855kg - eat that xDeep Ghost! ;)

Course I still have to add cam bands and (possibly) trim pockets which will tickle it over 2kg, but with the cutaway backplate, it should pack really neatly into a relatively small rucksack.

4. Gaz

Gaz Member

PPS I see that the Tecline Peanut Ultralight, mentioned earlier-on uses exactly the same backplate, though it is about 45% heavier (and about £200 more expensive from the importer). Weird as the wing is supposedly the same weight at 980g. Granted it has cam bands, but it much have a very heavy harness to account for the extra 1kg.

5. Gaz

Gaz Member

after a bit of homework it looks like the weight difference on the peanut comes from the harness (980g) plus the cam bands with metal buckles and a soft pad on the backplate.

My god, in 84 posts I've gone from "what's a BP&W" to full-geek! Just hope I can put the bloody thing together when I get the bits.

Wibble likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

All this and still nobody's got wet.... such is the fun of diving.

IME a single tank adapter holds everything together and, if made from aluminium, won't weigh much. Basically it's a 'U' shaped ali sheet bolted through the wing to the backplate using the standard wing nuts. The cam bands then slot though the STA.

Need some photos. I'll see if I can take some later.

Cheap is good though.

7. Gaz

Gaz Member

Ha ha - thanks Wibble. February the 12th I fly to Hawaii - 4 flights, via Canada (!), then find my way into town, meet some friends and haul my gear all round the islands for a few weeks. Should be able to report back on both ease of carrying and how it dives.

Wibble likes this.
  8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The tecline setup works the same with a Velcro patch with 2 rods on it. The rods act as the STA. the cambands go through the wing & BP. The only addition I have made is 2 mushroom bolts through the wing & BP to keep them together as the STA bolts would to make swapping over cylinders much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Timmytalk

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the wing and the backplate may conflict a little.

The hole spacing should be a standard 11" apart so nothing much to worry about there but the wing has 2 rubber rods sewn into it to provide cylinder support. If the backplate has a H-profile like Huw's one then these systems trying to do the same thing may end up conflicting.

Go for the standard size plate, there is hardly ever a reason to go for a larger or shorter plate.

10. JasonP

JasonP Member

There is something very reassuring about the wing being attached to the backplate with metal bolts. I've previously used a transpac with the wing just sandwiched and it's not as good. It can move a bit. Obviously with bolts, it can't.

11. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That’s why I use 2 mushroom bolts on my travel set. The system does work.

TBH I think the OP is getting a little wrapped around the axels comparing ali hardware to SS hardware. The difference in a d-ring is a few grams at most. What next? Measuring toothpaste & showergel?

As has been said, a backplate is a backplate etc... buy something you like that works rather than spending hours over a few grams.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

12. JasonP

JasonP Member

Agreed. I keep thinking about whether I should get an ally plate, but the extra couple of kilos for the stainless one isn't really an issue and then I've only got one, set up how I like, for all my diving.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Would suggest you get both, but not now. Get the Ali one for travelling and keep an eye out for a cheap second-hand stainless one for diving with more clothes on. Even then it's only a couple of kg difference, so an ali BP in the UK isn't too great an impediment.

14. JasonP

JasonP Member

I already have a stainless steel plate. I have been using it since 1999.

15. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I had an ali which I then sold, but after excess baggage fees I bought another one and an ali STA. As of this week that has been further reduced by missing out the STA altogether.

TG

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Therefore... what's the benefit of the STA?

17. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Prime reason cylinder can move a bit on backpack versions is way too thick webbing supplied on the cambands.
    Had this issue on my Zeagle all sorted with a quick switch to a couple of AP cambands.

As for wing/BP using vertical slots with cambands, the right webbing and addition of a rubber pad means cylinder
    is every bit as tight as using an STA.

18. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

As I said, the Tecline wing comes with a plastic one that can Velcro on and off. This keeps the cylinder in place.

For UK diving I still use a traditional SS BP and a STA.

TG

19. JasonP

JasonP Member

BA's 20kgs hand luggage is your friend. It makes it worth putting up with their deteriorating levels of service and catering.

Mind you, I somehow managed to get away with about 30kgs on an internal flight in the Philippines last year. Allowance was only 15kgs. Not a word.

20. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member