1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fins for drysuit diving

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by ChrisW3, Jul 7, 2020.

1. ChrisW3

ChrisW3 New Member

I'm looking for fins to fit a size 11 Drysuit boot for UK recreational diving. I'm a novice diver and want to progress my diving but don't anticipate doing anything overly technical in the future.

Unfortunately non of the club fins fit so Ineed to jump in and buy some before having a chance to try different styles. I'm leaning towards RK3's but wondered if there's any more budget fins out there worth looking at. Also any advice on sizes to fit the drysuit size 11 boot.

Thanks

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I use Scubapro Jet Fins and am very happy with them. They are heavy, but I have tried RK3s (standard, not HD), which felt like soggy cardboard in comparison.

3. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

I dive Rk3’s , standard. I went from heavy Scubapro jets to these. First time diving Rk3 I jumped off the boat headed for the shot and thought twat you’ve left your fins off. Grabbed the shot looked down , I hadn’t forgotten them they’ve got no go in them. After a few dives I got used to them and now love them. Still got the jets , my son dives them.

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I dived with Hollis F1 fins and before that Mares Quattros. The Hollis fins are heavier and stiffer and reward good technique.

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a (surplus) pair of Hollis F1 fins that fit my size 11 boots. For £50 + shipping they can be are yours.

6. ChrisW3

ChrisW3 New Member

Thanks. I'm interested - are they black? I was worried these may be a bit heavy for a novice diver, any thoughts on that?

7. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Black with spring straps and weigh about 3kg.

If they don't suit you'll probably be able to sell for the same as you paid (as I am looking to do).

8. ChrisW3

ChrisW3 New Member

Thanks PM sent

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Have both F1s and JetFins. The strap spring's stretched on the JetFins, so need to look for a replacement.

Find that heavier fins are better for a drysuit. Stiff fins are required for finning techniques - frog, turns, back-finning.

Wondering about changing to lighter fins and will be trying some RK3s next week.

10. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

I moved to Rk3 to help trim on ccr , if that helps. Your unit may act differently though.

11. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Are they that much lighter? What do they weigh?

I have the turtle fins and I tried the F1s to see if they were any lighter. They were the same and are now on their way to their new home.

In the end I shifted the CoG of my unit by putting a 2kg weight on the top of the scrubber.

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I might be interested in these too.

13. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

they are quite a bit lighter , I can weigh them but not for a couple of days. Your 2kg on the scrubber is much cheaper

14. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Sorry. Already gone to their new owner.

15. Strider1471

Strider1471 New Member

Hi Chris. I’ve had / owned all 4 - Hollis F1s, Apex RK3 (HDs and Standard) and ScubaPro Jets. I have size 10 rockboots, diving single cylinder, Steel Bp/w in a drysuit.

Forget the Scubapros with size 11 boots, it was a real squeeze for my size 10s in the XXL and they don’t appear to sell a XXXL in Europe. It’s a shame as I took to them the best out of the 3. Even considered surgery to keep them!

You should have no problem fitting the largest F1s or RK3 HDs (I wouldn’t consider the standard RK3s for a novice drysuit diver - too floppy) but the HDs and F1s are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of buoyancy (don’t confuse weight with how buoyant you expect a fin to be btw).

If you find you really struggle with floaty feet the F1s will help you trim out the most but they’re certainly not the easiest to use for someone not used to large heavy fins. Until you nail the technique you’ll come away with some sore legs but you’ll be rewarded with a lot of power.

The HDs are much easier to get used to, much lighter feeling in water - although still negatively buoyant - and in my opinion are better suited to single cylinder diving. If you really need the negative buoyancy of the F1s on a single cylinder there’s probably room to optimise you rig somewhere else.

In summary, ScubaPros were best all rounders but we can’t have them! F1s are likely to be too negative (heavy), but keep hold of them if you plan to move to a twinset. Apex HDs likely to be best compromise and easiest to live with.

There will be other great options too but I decided enough was enough after buying 4 pairs of fins due to not being able to borrow any - all my buddies have small feet!

All the best - good to know how you get on.
    Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wibble and Vanny like this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome to the forum :)

Strider1471 likes this.
  17. ChrisW3

ChrisW3 New Member

Strider - many thanks for your overview - really interesting.

Cheers