1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finning

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Graysyid, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Hi

Did anyone pick up the fin kicks (like the cave divers) straight away or is it all practice. When I done my PPB I feel like one leg is off in one direction. it seems so natural....

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Good question. Finning takes practice. The simple wag your leg up and down "scissor kick" is easy to start off with but is awful as it's inefficient and kicks up the silt from metres away.

The Frog Kick is similar to breast stroke in swimming. It is very efficient as the power's directed backwards and not up or down. Like breast stroke, it takes practice to master, but isn't too difficult.

From the Frog kick, you can modify it to do helicopter turns -- turning around on the spot using your legs only. That takes more practice, but is really useful. Then comes the back-kick, finning backwards, which does take a lot of practice and frustration at first.

For speed, you can use the Flutter Kick. This uses your bent knees to power the fins backwards... Knees in line with your body, bend your calves back to 90 degrees then power the calves down to about 45 degrees without moving your knees. This imparts power to your fins which are angled flat backwards. Bringing your calves back up, your fins go flat, and off you go again. Flutter kick is the most efficient and powerful kick that's good when you need to fight a current or get a wiggle on. It's quite easy to pick up.

Both the Frog Kick and Flutter Kick have 'soft' gentle versions called Mod Frog & Mod Flutter, both of which use your ankles. They're useful when in a tight space.

Once you've learned to Frog Kick, you'll probably never go back to the inefficient, silt-stirring, vis-killing scissor kick.

3. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

I've been trying for some time to master frog kicks: for some reason I just cant do it... best I can manage is a sort of uncoordinated side to side leg wobble.. it vaguely works - but must look amusing, and is far less efficient than a proper frog kick...

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Your avatar says different - looks a perfect leg stance!

Need some puddle time. Looking forwards to them warming up!

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

that was something like my 3rd or 4th ever dive...

I always seem to do either a sort of flutter or the waving ankles lol

6. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

They tried to teach finning and i spent more concentration on that than breathing, sure it will come with practice. only 9 dives in.

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Slow down to work on the frog kick, exaggerate the movement and hold your fins together at the end of the stroke to enjoy the glide.

8. winsla

winsla New Member

Tips here are great. Having a hard time with finning too.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The three fundimental skills of diving: buoyancy, trim and finning. Once mastered, your diving will be so much more enjoyable.

Big Joe likes this.
  10. snowman

snowman Active Member

What about GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)? You definitely need to work on that to really 'enjoy' your diving! :D

M

JohnL likes this.