1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final gear check before purchase

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Phillthy, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Hi folks,

Could you have a look-see at this list before I click the "pay on finance" option and see if everything looks in order?!

Regs: Apeks XTX40 Plus XTX 40 Regulator set - Din 300 ( I know the older ones are cheaper but I'm a sucker for "new stuff"!)

BCD: Tusa Liberator Sigma II (already purchased)

Computer: Suunto Zoop

Mask: Hollis M4 (already tried a Mares I3 and sent it back due to poor fitting)

Snorkel: Oceanic Arid

Fins: Scubapro Jet Fins (I'm a size 11 shoe so I think I need the XL, correct me if i'm wrong!)

Gauge: Apeks single conents gauge and hose

Knives: Maniago TS1 line cutter (+ beaver challenger already purchased)

What do we reckon?

2. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Oh, going to hang fire with the drysuit and cylinder and just hire for now by the way.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Mask: does it fit! Nothing else matters as much as that! As an aside, I've found the black skirted masks to be much better as there's less reflections inside the faceplate.

Regs & gauge: you won't regret it.

Zoop: great starter computer.

Fins: did you try them on wearing boot(Ies)? This will add more size. I take a nine shoe, but XL fins, especially for the drysuit. In fact I lost a fin that was too tight the first time I used my drysuit!

Line cutter: the Trilobite cutters are really good. Very sharp and very compact. They will fit on your wrist/computer strap as well as on your waist belt. Highly recommended.

You'll need a torch if you're diving in the uk. Look at the Light-for-Me backup torches. Very good value and very reliable.

Have fun:)

4. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Cheers Wibble, I'd seen the trilobite but just assumed that line cutters were all much of a muchness. Not much in the price so I'll swap that out.

The more I think about the fins the more I think I shouldn't purchase any just yet. As you say, need to check they fit first and won't be able to tell until I've bought my own drysuit. I'll just hire those for now too and wait till I get the suit sorted!

I'll check out the torches, it's blown me away the price of some of them. Bought a cheapo import one which seems surprisingly well made but I'm not holding out much hope of it lasting more than one dive!

Thanks for the advice!

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

All ok apart from the XTX.

The difference between the ATX and the XTX is simply the way the hose routes and the
    interchangable exhaust. I use mostly ATX have never needed to swap the hose to the left
    or add a larger exhaust, so wouldnt see any advantage in going to the XTX and certainly
    not for the extra dosh.

I'd still go for a DS4, ATX40 2nd & 3rd with a single guage = job done :)

Doomanic and Zubar like this.
  6. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Phillthy likes this.
  7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Have a look at these torches as starters too. I have the 150 and it is a very capable wee torch. well made and inc batt and charger. Its lived in my pocket in Scapa and still going strong.

http://www.johnhewitt.com/torches.htm

8. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Cheers chaps, I'll give the links a look!

Tel, I'm banging it on finance instead of buying a piece at a time and it would probably be more effort finding somewhere else that does the ATX version and buying hat separately from everything else. Not much difference monthly payment either, suppose that's how they get you to buy more!

9. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

For the cheapest reg prices CALL Sam at 'just apeks', the best prices ever. Dont look at the website, she is not allowed to advertise her best prices.

Chimpus likes this.
  10. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Mask bought, cheers Zubar!

11. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

The Ammonite is twice the price of the LFM. Yes it's smaller, but with my money i went for two LFM backup tecs over one ammonite.

But that Ferei 150 is a great torch for recreational use.

12. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

2 x underwater kinetics c4 led primary torches for £60 the pair.

Bargain or not?

13. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not.

Case is old, it's been around since halogen and is geared up to take
    4x C cell batteries which even then would just about manage 5 watts.
    Converted to LED this chucks out 275 lumen, so on the low side
    compared to many of the latest ones. That battery size and the reflector
    makes for a bigger unit then the latest offerings and the really bad point
    is its got a integral handle moulded to the body, crap for stowage.

In comparison the LFM efforts and others pack a punch to be a main
    and small enough to become a backup if you go bigger later.

I'd pay £60 on one decent torch.

14. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Sounds logical, thought it was too good to be true. Makes you wonder how some places continue to charge quite a lot for them!

Cheers Tel!

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

They're huge and not very bright. I've seen them dangling below many divers and dragging along the bottom.

16. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well funnily enough we use UK D8r's which are massive 30 watt halogens that you
    can cook eggs on :)

Tottally OTT and big enough to bash nails in, but they hold charge for a weekend,
    don't need battery changes and are almost impossible to lose. Sometimes with
    students bigger is better :)

PS: If they are dragging on the bottom they are rigged wrong, Trick is a loop of
    short webbing and piston clip on the handle. Loop throgh the d-ring on the pull and
    through itself, then clip the main to mid chest d-ring usually on top of a BC :)

17. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Sound, sounds like a more compact, brighter number is the way to go.

Or an underwater candle. Won't need charging up then.

18. Phillthy

Phillthy Member

Is there anything I'm missing by the way? Apart from what I've already pointed out as being hired (cylinder, drysuit, weights and fins)

Can't think of anything...

19. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Yes. Your own undersuit. Even if renting a drysuit is adv you get a proper undersuit. If you are going to do this long term then it's well worth it. Have you ever smelt some other people's undersuits?!!!