1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fin of choice

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Graysyid, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Morning

Was just curious what everyone's Fin of choice is? I've got a pair of XL Mares Avanti Quattro plus, but was thinking about getting some jet fins. I'm hoping they might make frog kicking a bit easier.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

This is typically what you see
    Scubapro Jetfins
    Hollis F1's (a bit long)
    Apeks RK3

Becky9 likes these
    Poseiden Trident (short)

Others to consider
    Turtle fins
    XDeep EX1 (I know nothing about these)

I myself have a pair of DiveSystem Tech Fins, these are a copy of the Scubapro Jet Fins but made of slightly softer material. This was back in the day when Scubapro sizing was weird and you'd only fit proper Jet Fins if you had small feet and the only alternative was Turtle fins, I prefer mine to Turtles but would prefer Scubapro over mine.

#2 jb2cool, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Graysyid likes this.
  3. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I'm a size 12 boot and the drysuit is a bit tight in the Mares. My LDS has just started stocking Apeks fins but wasn't sure what they were like.

4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I have Jet Fins. Happy with them and they make manoeuvres easier than the Mares XLs that I had before. Helped a little with my heavy headed-ness too.

Very chunky and durable - spring attachments aside, I'd be shocked if they didn't outlast me.

I'm size 11/12 and mine are XXL, I think.

Graysyid likes this.
  5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I had/have Quattro’s. There ok but for me a bit too long and floppy. SP jets on open circuit were great, heavy solid , frog kick / back kick very effective.

Switching to ccr I found jets too heavy , I have now switched to Apeks RK3 (not HD). They are much lighter. Better at stopping my sinky feet on ccr. But first dive in , on the lift , jump , check shot direction , yep got it and fin. Oh fuck I’ve forgotten my fins! Look down no actually I have them on. The Apeks are not as powerful as the jets.
    I imagine the HD Apeks are better as they are stiffer and heavier, still lighter than the Jets though.

So I keep the jets as I love em but on ccr use the Apeks which I’ve grown to equally love. Their short , have holes to clip them to something if you want to go all miltary , spring straps with a plastic bit to hold and have holes in the the foot pocket which makes them v easy to remove. I’ve got used to the lack of power , I just fin more if I need to get a move on, normal dive conditions I don’t know I’ve got them on.

The jet style are the best imho which ones are for you will partly depend on how negative you want them to be in the water and more importantly which ones fit your boots the best.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hollis F1s. Strong, heavy, work very well.

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I have a surplus pair of Large Hollis F1 Fins that can be owned for £50, or £60 delivered to a UK mainland address.

8. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I have Apeks RK3s (not the HD). I'm also a size 12 foot, and the Super fit well.

I have no problems with the RK3s - they work well for me. They look quite short and wide, but wearing them is fine. At least 2 others in my club use them. The white ones show up really well in the water.
    One of my friends has Hollis F1s, and he's more than happy with them.

9. nickb

nickb Active Member

I use Hollis F1s with a dry suit and Mares Quattros when I'm using a wetsuit.

I used to use Scubapro Jetfins but they were uncomfortable without modification of the foot pocket, which is shaped more to suit a house brick than a human foot.

NickPicks likes this.
  10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

So RK3s or Jet Fins/F1s then, depending on whether you are heavy or light footed at the moment.

Graysyid likes this.
  11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

They do light F1s and heavy RK3s just to confuse things further

12. speed098

speed098 Member

I have Atomic split fins, plus Mares Quattro's.
    Next fins may well be the Hollis F2.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's a good price. F1's don't wear out!

Are those the ones you sold me?

(I bought them as a backup in case the F1's let me down / were lost. Not needed them thus far)

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Aren’t they the F2s and aforementioned HDs?

15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just get some Force Fins.

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, the F2 is a completely different shape

Hollis F1
    Hollis F1 LT (Lighter version but same shape as F1)
    Apeks RK3
    Apeks RK3 HD (Heavy version on the RK3)

17. speed098

speed098 Member

F2's are dual layer ie like a formula one rear wing and also shorter and lighter than the F1 which is why I am looking at them, potentially as a travel fin to start with, and also because I really need to improve fitness before buying something like the F1 or the Apex etc.. links to Hollis below.
    https://www.hollis.com/f2/
    https://www.hollis.com/f1-bat-fin/
    https://www.hollis.com/f1-lt/

18. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'm on the same hunt - two reasons, for easier manoeuvring and for ease on a boat. I had problems with the Quattros in Madeira getting onto the dive boat, one time finishing on my knees and crawling - most undignified.

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Look at the Apeks fins they are short and wide, easier to “walk” in and quite easy to remove in water.

Harvey-NG and JohnL like this.
  20. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

If you have diving friends with a variety of fins, see if you can try out some of the fins mentioned above. Bother the F1 and RK3 are solid fins which will last a lifetime but are totally different so one might work for you while the other won’t. I have sinky feet, bought some F1s without trying someone else’s in the water first. They were a total disaster for me and now have RK3s which are fine for me. If you have floaty feet you’ll be the opposite. All the fins mentioned by @jb2cool above are good options depending on how they work for you.