1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal for unfit over-50s?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by JohnL, Jul 28, 2018.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Article in the paper yesterday managed to give a wonderful scare story without any useful information. Basically, the comment was that the percentage of diving fatalities for older divers had been rising steadily from 1989 to 2015 - over 50s from 15% to 35% and over 60s "soaring" from 5% to 20%. A US study had found that one third of people whose main hobby was diving were over 50. Over half of these had smoked at some time in their lives, nearly half were overweight and one third had been diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
    The advice from an Australian doctor who carried out the study was that all divers should have routine fitness assessments with their doctor, and take action to lose weight and lower blood pressure and cholesterol or they risk facing a heart attack under water.
    Having started diving in my late '60s and now over 70, I don't have to worry as there weren't any statistics for my age group. :whistling: I'm lucky, with low blood pressure and, with continual vigilance, only slightly overweight and a non-smoker for 50 years. Looking around dive centres, it surprises me how many overweight people dive - walking with my gear on is enough for me, without three or four stone of extra ballast.
    It occurs to me that, to be in your 60s in 1989, you would probably have trained in the 1950s after watching Hans and Lotte Hass and Jacques Cousteau on the television. Foreign holidays were not as common then and scuba equipment was much less sophisticated. Jump ahead 25 years and holidays had come within the reach of many and the equipment had moved on. The statistics used may just reflect that the diving population are getting older.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Umpteen points here...

It's the silly season and journos are desperate to publish anything. Journos don't spend much time researching stories and looking for the depth; just the clickbait headlines.

We're all getting fatter. Just look at the fat bastards wandering around supermarkets buying that killer yankee shite: high fructose corn syrup, disgusting vile sugar-based drinks; high-sugar juices; ready meals; filth from Subway and yankee burger chains.... Fatness brings on the triumvirate of cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure.

The world's addicted to their phones and do less physical exercise. It's socially acceptable to be unfit.

The arrogance of some reporters 'quoting' that the first 200 year old person is living among us today. The truth is that with all of the above they'll be lucky to live as long as their grandparents.

There's so much more wrong today that this barely scratches the surface. Overuse of antibiotics; failing to expose children to dirt to build up resistance....

But back to diving... why can't you die doing something you like and not in front of the telly?

We've all got to go sometime (Dark Side of the Moon)

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Antimicrobial resistance is actually something I’m really interested in and is a big threat to our society. We should all fear the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Especially since all the big pharma companies have pulled out of antibiotic research... no money it compared with erectile disfunction! grrrr

5. splinter

splinter Active Member

Watching my mum suffer with dementia and seeing several family and friends go after long illnesses, a heart attack underwater doesn't sound too bad. No rush, mind you. I'm not quite 50 yet.

pgarrish likes this.
  6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

There’s a simple and fun for all the family solution to that; send them all down Manor Farm Swallet, followed by a trip down Otter Hole.

phantomlurker likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Watching all the peaches bitten by the leeches....