1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face full of fuzz

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Cybes, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Steady...

I brought a beard back with me from my last trip to sea. I'm tempted to keep it for the festive season.

However, now I'm back I can get back diving again.

Anybody know if a hairy face messes up the mask seal?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No. It does not affect my mask seal.

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I shave the tiniest slither from my top lip where it meets my nose, but not so much you can really see. That helps.

***Warning for people who don't want to hear about hairy necks***

I shave the back of my neck though and my dry suit is no longer a damp suit.

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I have facial fuzz that ranges from a #3 to a #8 and don't have any issue with mask seal now I've got a decent mask.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Only when you're upside down.

I'm not hairy so tend not to bother shaving on non work days. Earlier this year I was diving in the Sound of Mull -- lovely place, highly recommended. On the fifth day of not shaving I had a bit of a tash when we went diving on the Rondo which is famous as it's bow down at 50 degrees.

There's a 'tube' on the Rondo which is a couple of metres long and about a metre wide. Or more accurately it's a hole a couple of metres deep. Slowly in I go, head down with a twinset on my back. As I get near vertical, physics takes over and the massive weight on my back tips me over. All the gas in my suit goes to my feet, fins touching one side of the hole... Hmmm, interesting I think. I'll just 'flip' my fins and spin to the right angle. Not in that hole I won't as there's not enough room.

Then the fuzzy top lip comes into play. I'm upside down in a hole and the seal under my nose isn't sealing due to the nascent tash leaking and now being at the top of the mask, so waters coming in and filling my mask from the top down (which is now the bottom 'cos I'm upside down). Laughing, as it is funny that I've got myself into this pickle, I pop a little bit of gas into my wing and start ascending backwards to get out of that hole. Now free from the hole I flipped upright, cleared the mask and laughed some more.

Mask clearing's easier with a fuzzy top lip though.