1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme Under Water Ironing

Discussion in 'Diving Related Events' started by Air-Guzzler, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

For those people who are looking at entering this event the basics you will need are as follows.

1. Each diver must have their own ironing board, iron, and item to be ironed

Board size: A miniature board is Ok (although we prefer to see full sized boards wherever possible). However, it can't be one of those tiny boards. It needs to be at least 1 metre long, 30 Centimetres at the widest point and have legs.

Irons: No plastic toys irons, they must be real irons. Travel irons are fine.

Garment: Any garment is suitable, but it must be at least the size of a tea towel. It's hardly impressive to iron a handkerchief.

Numbers:One Iron/Board/Item to be ironed per person

Please remember that you need to equip yourself with an iron and an ironing board. There are plenty of recycling places that you should be able to aquire one of each Please remember that you need to equip yourself with an iron and an ironing board. There are plenty of recycling places that you should be able to acquire one of each.

2. There must be photographic evidence

We are working on having a group of divers who will be prepared to either photograph or video the ironers. Volunteers should note they will not be required to iron as well, and should amend the 'list' thread.

3.Timing

The record is for the largest number of simultaneous divers ironing.

2. Air-Guzzler

Please do not use the sponsorship form the form has been removed due to technical reasons. If anybody has used this form please destroy

3. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Will NDAC be providing 240V extension sockets for all ironers or should we be looking for a low voltage (110VAC or 12VDC) holiday type of iron for safety reasons? :tongue:

4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Don't be daft, Dave. You wouldn't be able to use an electric iron at depth: the external pressure would be too high to get the electrons down the cable.
    Best bet would be a butane-powered travel iron: same sort of system I use in my hair curlers.:tongue::tongue:

5. PeteStewart

PeteStewart Never wrong, but not always right

When\where will the new forms be available?

Entry in post :thumbup::thumbup:

6. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Good thinking Chris. That explains why computers don't work underwater as well I guess (at least my ZX Spectrum stopped working when immersed in a bucket).
    I've got some waterproof matches somewhere so pending some testing I may partake.

7. Air-Guzzler

If you have used the old entry form it should not be a problem although the sponsorship form had some incorrect text. I am waiting for the new forms 1 minute the email arrives I will let you all know on here and the Official Facebook site

8. Air-Guzzler

Sponsorship form UP-dated.

9. PeteStewart

PeteStewart Never wrong, but not always right

Which charities are being supported this time?

10. Air-Guzzler

This is a copy from YD as its a joint effort from a few members on both sides of the WWW.

We're trying to improve on our extreme ironing world record and raise some money for charity, but to get the record, we need evidence. This is where you can help if you are an u/w tog.

Make no mistake, it isn't easy to get the evidence in dark, silty water, but from the very many excellent UK photos I have seen posted on here, I know that we have the talent here on YD. If you'd like to give it a go, please send me an email to yd_togs@sterritt.co.uk

Please don't be afraid to volunteer if you might not be "not good enough" or because you only have a compact as we will do our very best to help you to get the pictures we need. I will be happy to meet up with anyone at Wraysbury a couple of weeks before the event to help get your camera settings right. I expect I might be able to get someone else to do the same at Stoney or NDAC if required.

I don't know how many togs we'll need, but better too many of you volunteer than too few.

Thanks, Chris

11. Air-Guzzler

For those divers wanting additional information about this event the NDAC have a web page.

http://www.ndac.co.uk/extremeironing/

12. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Would removing the link to the incorrect form on post #8 be a good idea? ;)

13. Starfighter

Starfighter New Member

Serious question - Certification requirements? Can I do this on an OW?

Not so serious questions...
    1 - Can this dive be done as an underwater ironing adventure with the knowledge review as part of the briefing?
    2 - If I do this can this dive count toward my underwater ironing speciality?

14. Air-Guzzler

Hi Starfighter

To answer your question with regards to OW cert then Yes people will have a choice they can either form a group of divers approx 10 +1TOG at a given depth last time it was generally done at OW depth due to GWR only allowing 10mins top gather the evidence

If your after a speciality your in safe hands

I am the speshul1 :)

15. Fishboy

Fishboy Member

Hi all,

Is there a date that entries must be in by? Also, does anybody who took part in the last event have any comments on the buoyancy attributes of your average cheap board and iron? I don't particularly fancy a "try iron" in Wraysbury before we head off to Chepstow.

Thanks,
    Pete

16. johnkendall

johnkendall Member

Don't know about date, but as part of the clean up team last time I can say that the board and iron are seriously negative.

HTH
    John

17. Air-Guzzler

Hi Fish boy,
    To answer your questions the event is to take place on Sunday April 3rd 2011.
    Entries should be in as quick as possible.

From the last event we experienced a few problems as below

The GWR states that each diver must be individually identified and each diver was given an ID number as below 44

[​IMG]

The picture also shows that the diver, iron & article of cloth has to be within the same shot.

Each diver this time will have to secure there ID with tie wraps as gaffer tape will float away.

I had a completely steel framed board

[​IMG]

but still found that once it was set up on teh bottom it was better to have 2kg strapped to the bottom.

I also found that the cord was best to be cut off to stop from being entangled in your kit.

as for swimming through the water with a board I found that using a loop of rope and rigging the board like a stage helped with leaving both hands free.

If anybody has Any more questions please ask :)

18. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

As it's Friday, we could start a ruck about the relative merits of "Laundry Left, iRon Right" versus "all implements clipped to the left to aid deployment of the long hose"...

Chris (feeling mischievous at the end of the day)

19. Air-Guzzler

Chris
    With being one of the resident experts in this fine art its Board Left Iron Right when carrying it on land and through the water as below

[​IMG]

please not the quality back up torch

20. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

I notice 'Flat Trim' behind you!