1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPIRB/PLB experiences?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by snowman, Jul 18, 2018.

1. snowman

snowman Active Member

Hi.

Anyone got an EPIRB/PLB for diving?

If so, any advice on which models to choose? Do they work worldwide or only in specific areas?

Thinking it's about time I had one, but wondering which would be best for me.

Thanks.

M

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Got me a Nautilus Lifeline which I occasionally carry but have (fortunately) never used in anger. These are two-way VHF radios with AIS for emergencies. Nautilus now do a smaller AIS device which uses VHF radio which all boats use. These are waterproof and optimised for diving.

EPIRBs use satellites to ping off a message to the coastguard. Great in extremis, but all you want is to alert your boat to pick you up; it's unlikely to be an emergency that you're on the surface and want a picking up before the pasties have been eaten. AFAIAA there's no EPIRB which is dive-depth safe so they all need a separate canister.

3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I dive UK only and most dive boats, and all SAR resources, have AIS receivers. I have a Smartfind S10 AIS beacon which is small and requires no canister. It is rated to 60m and mine has been to 87m. This is line of sight detection and only useful to show your location and does not raise the alarm. It is very useful if an undesirable fog bank drops, or you are a long way from your dive boat (we did a tst a couple of years back).

If you are going overseas then another solution is better but for us UK folk it is a useful level of personal reassurance.

4. Depthdevil

Depthdevil New Member

I have a mcmurdo plb. A 210 with gps. Never used in anger, but very nearly on one dive. I was glad to have it with me. It is just off for a battery change, (once every five years), the battery cost is half of what I paid for it. If you choose this route, make sure it is registered as a human diver, as it is recorded in the small ships register. Then the person looking for you will be looking for a person and not a rowing boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk