1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency Strobe / Marker / Light

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by SimonL, Apr 3, 2018.

1. SimonL

SimonL New Member

As a relative newbie, can someone advise me on whether an Emergency Strobe / Marker / Light is a necessary/sensible thing to have for sea diving and if so, can you offer views on which are the good ones please?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

In my limited experience of sea dives I haven't seen a need for them. I'd hate to dive with a buddy wearing one as the flashing would really get on ones nerves!

I can see a use for marking the shot line, but if it's that important to get back then lining off with a reel/spool would make more sense.

UK diving frequently has poor visibility of less than two metres. It's most common to "bag off" and ascend under a SMB for the boat to pick you up. Thus strobes don't add much value -- the standard(ish) protocol if you loose your buddy is to look around for a minute or two and ascend alone if separated.

3. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Thanks Wibble. Agree on the reel use and lost buddy protocol.

Wasn't thinking of it being on whilst diving, rather only on if on the surface and somehow lost or separated from the boat.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For the surface there's the Nautilus radio options - http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/. There's the older two-way radio with AIS and the newer AIS only device. These are waterproof to deep (100m?) and are small enough to leave in your pocket.

A proper full-sized SMB that's fat and tall makes an enormous difference.

With typical recreational one-cylinder no-deco dives you'll be amazed at how close together the field of SMBs are at the end of a dive.

#4 Wibble, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  5. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Thanks again! :thumbup:

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Expand on the proximity of the field of blobs, there's a couple of reasons for this. Dives are done at slack water (unless it's a drift) and recreational dives are generally quite short so the tide hasn't picked up. Dives on air -- strangely Nitrox still isn't that common -- have short Non Deco Limits (NDL), for example 20 mins at 30 metres, so most divers will ascend when this limit is reached. For shallower dives the limit will be gas and that will be reached at broadly similar times. Then there's the common limits imposed by the dive boats, 45 to 60 mins being common.

7. nickb

nickb Active Member

I’ve done plenty of UK dives where the visibility has been in the tens of meters but with no ambient light. In that case, marking the shot with a strobe makes a lot more sense than fucking about with a reel (nobody uses a spool for this).

A case in point was a dive on the Justicia. There was little to no ambient light at 70m but the strobes on the shotline were visible from more than 30m away. The journey from the bow to the props and back with scooters would have been a ballache if we’d lined off, especially with a spool.

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

:eek: using a spool to line off!! :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:
    The wreck is over 226m long so it would be been very slow progress and the props would never have been reached!

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The shite vis sea dives I've been diving recently... could use a sodding tape measure.

10. John F

John F Member

I did the Nixon hole last weekend. It’s only 27 M but had about half a meter vis and was as dark as a night dive, very easy to lose your buddy, even with a good torch.

11. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

I did that this time last year and as Ive had a few gret diveson it we said F==k this and binned it.