1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Egypt Liveaboard -hi-jinks on Thistlegorm

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Scunnered, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Scunnered

Scunnered Active Member

Related - as it's about diving the Thistlegorm - A friend is over in Egypt just now and shared this with me and the rest of the world by Facebook. Would be interested to hear what folks think!

"Bad experience at the Thistlegorm. Mooring was crazy with boats and a tow line even snapped there was so many trying to connect. Sea was rough as I've ever experienced and boats getting pushed together. Frenzied entry and the same coming out. Guide pretty bad and he was my buddy. Wouldn't take me up when I showed I had 100...70...50.. 20 bar and then I had finally two before he actually got a move on. Didn't make it to the Emergency air station and had to share air before we got there. You would think the second dive inside the Thistlegorm he'd take heed. No again I showed 100...70..and then 50 and made signs I wanted to go up. Again I had to share his air before getting up. Spoilt my whole experience!! I gave him a tip at the end alright bloody get people back on the boat preferably with air left! I was frightened and this was all at 24metres."

2. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

I think if I told him I was gonna run out of air and he told me to stay where I was I may have said a polite no and gone up anyway?

Dan Payne likes this.
  3. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

That is unforgivable. If I get to min gas and my buddy doesn't want to come up, he's staying down alone. I'd be having serious words on the surface if it was me.

Dan Payne and Iain Denham like this.
  4. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Sorry.... for me It would have been somewhat clearer that it wasn't a suggestion, or a question, it was a polite notification, that i'm going.... come with me or stay on your own... that's your choice..... but i'm heading up.....

i wouldn't be diving with said diver again...... end of.

5. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

That "May have said" was a bit tongue in cheek!

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  6. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Gents, for my 2pence worth - and this is purely my opinion based upon text in Scunnered's posting - it strikes me that the chap who posted the original Facebook posting is very likely (hopefully?) an inexperienced diver. This makes absolutely no excuse for the clearly piss poor 'guiding' that he was subjected to, but should be taken in to account with subsequent comments.

The Thistlegorm can be a challenging dive, with tremendous overcrowding and raging currents. For an inexperienced diver, the thought of bailing and exiting on your own would, in my opinion, be overwhelming, particularly given that you are buddied with the guide who 'surely' knows what he's doing.

I completely agree with Iain, Andy and Stu in that I wouldn't be staying down there watching the needle head ever lower, hoping I wasn't going to die whilst waiting for this arse to acknowledge my predicament but we've all (I assume?) got a fair number of dives under our respective belts. We've got the confidence and experience to say 'up yours pal, I'm off'.

In my opinion, the issue here is that the guide should be reported for repeatedly endangering his charge. I'm not suggesting that this is the correct place for a name and shame, but the Facebook chap needs to pursue this.

Sidemount_Stu and Zubar like this.
  7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Col has a point here, not an easy dive site to make ones own way to the surface. If a no penetration dive, it's still a busy scene over the 'gorm, with many shot lines to various boats and tonnes of bubbles and current, on one trip we had a flag (upsidedown) to mark it.

On the penetration dive it can be a bit of a maze, if I had to exit solo I'd head for one of the many light source exits, but would then be at an unknown part of the wreck with a forest of shot lines. I can imagine this could become a major problem to a stressed diver.

C

Col__M likes this.
  8. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I dived it last year from an Emperor liveaboard. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon in choppy seas with only one other liveaboard on site. Having been briefed on the journey we enterd the water soon after we were secured. Of the fifteen divers on board, only 12 decided to dive and the other liveaboard was on their surface interval. We surfaced and the went in. Their dive completed, they untied and left only us to overnight on Thistlegorm. Only six of us were up for the night dive. That is correct the whole Thistlegorm with only six divers. The following morning we were the first ones in and even got a fourth dive while most of the other visitors were on SI. Excellent timing by the Emperor crew and I believe that it was intended.

Dan Payne and furryman like this.
  9. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Fingers crossed we have the same experience with them in a couple of weeks :)