1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Buy?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by pitdiver, Jul 22, 2018.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

2. JimmE

JimmE New Member

Othree have a good reputation, both for suits and customer service, although I’ve never had one of their suits I spent a long time chatting to them at the dive show last year when weighting up options. The MSF500 is their ‘basic’/budget suit. So, likely to be well built but with the most basic ‘non-compressed’ neoprene - so nice and warm but more buoyancy change with depth, compared to their two higher-end suits.

I’ve never dived one so can’t really comment more than that, but it would likely be far from being the worst suit available on eBay.

With any used suit the main thing is fit, and leaks. Leaks around the Zip, for example, can be an expensive fix. With neoprene suits you tend not to get the ‘generally porus’ issue you can get with some low-end membrane suits after a few years (speaking from experience!) but equally nothing is as easy to dive as a well fitting membrane suit.

If you can examine it and try it on before purchase, all the better.

My last suit was a 2mm hyper-compressed neoprene (Bare) and my current suit is a membrane/tri-lam (Hammond) but I’d still have no problem with either type of suit next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The Port 10 is the O’Three budget suit, the MSF500 is their ‘everyday’ suit, it’s unfair to call this a basic/budget suit.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Of course people can tell porkies, but no mention of age or number of dives.
    A suit can look clean if looked after even after doing loads of dives.

Low selling count is good, better if he was selling more dive kit than just this as
    it could mean getting rid to get a new one, which begs why.

I'd message him and ask him why how old it is, how many dives and why is he selling it.
    If he's genuine you should get a decent back story.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Two "rules" of drysuits: they must fit and they mustn't leak.

6. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

I have the msf500 and I really like it. It has around 60 dives on it and they’ve all been dry.
    Customer service at O’three is excellent and I’d recommend sending it to them for service if you buy it and need any adjustments making to seals as they’ll do a full test and clean while they’re at it.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I like O3, I dive a 2mm suit. That one looks older than mine going by the decals etc. Mine is 5 years old , I’d estimate that one between 7-10 years. Not a bad thing depending on price , fit etc.

8. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Mrs PD and myself are thinking of going to the diveshow thia year. Can you buy Drysuits at the show, or just place orders. I woud like really to purchase Seaskin Neo MTM but am concerned with the measuring. Can they do the measuring there.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Apparently there's a BOGOF on the dive show tickets for a short while - www.diveshows.co.uk - according to some junk that fell through my inbox.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Expires Tues 31st August

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

My missus measured me up for mine, and then double checked everything, in the peace and quiet of home. Wouldn't have wanted it done in the hustle and bustle of a dive show. Very happy with the fit.

12. nickb

nickb Active Member

Hustle and bustle?

Have you been to the Dive Show in the past 20 years?

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Don't forget that I live in the country - the worst local traffic jam is when the cows are crossing the road for milking.:) Supermarket car parks are rarely as much as half full.

splinter likes this.
  14. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I don’t like my MSF500 at all.

Customer service was fine in terms of getting stuff done, but my cuff seals needed to be patched (by me) after about 60 dives and the zip was replaced after about 100.

15. nickb

nickb Active Member

I wasn't keen on mine either but....

I think you must have had a lemon or abused that suit badly. Mine was bulletproof and I only got rid 'cos I didn't like the buoyancy changes in the first 10m or so. Having then switched to a membrane suit I realised the other advantages.

To need a new rear and presumably heavy-duty zip after 100 dives is unusual to say the least.

The customer service at O3 is excellent.

16. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Bit of ‘upselling’ by them when I popped the suit in to have the cuffs done properly.

There were a handful of small splits between some of the teeth so they advised that I get the zip replaced.

I mentioned it’s age and number of dives and we came to an arrangement.

I’m hoping to visit Otter on Monday for some mods to another suit, so will see how their fabled customer service compares.

17. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Aren't all zips made by one company? Splits are normally caused by someone jerking it when closing or opening because the zip is stiff. In my experience, it starts to leak soon afterwards.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

BDM I think.

It was always fairly stiff so that could’ve maybe accelerated wear.