1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drysuit alterations

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by anthonyexmouth, Mar 30, 2018.

1. anthonyexmouth

Hi, I've got an oceanic membrane suit. I'd really like some extra width in the calves. Not sure if it's an alteration that's either possible or economic but if it is do any of you know of anywhere, preferably in the south west, who does this kinda work.

Cheers

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Don't know anyone in the south west, but if you're willing to post it, Otter would be my first choice. Drop them an email telling them what you want and they'll tell you if it's possible.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah post to Otter.
    Had this done on the calves of a suit that was too narrow. Otter put two pieces in and solved the problem :)

I would say though that this wasn't an isolated case and found a lot of Oceanic suits to be too narrow in the
    calves. Possibly just a quirk of the brand.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

It's not only dry suits. Getting a good pair of wellingtons if you've got calf muscles is a nightmare - they seem to have become fashion accessories rather than for pottering around the garden. The lady in the shop where I eventually located a pair that fitted told me that it's the same for riding boots. Maybe it's the problem of baby boomers that were brought up on "Drink a pinta milk a day".

5. anthonyexmouth

What kinda price did they charge for that alteration?

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It was free :)

Ok not really it was a after-sales tweak on a new MTM suit, so no price as such.
    It is though quite an easy repair albeit on your suit unless they can match material quite a
    visible one.

They cut two elongated diamonds and add new pieces of fabric before taping both sides.
    The one i had done was on an Otterskin so the patch was the same material and tape same
    as all the other on the suit so you had to look hard to realise it was there.

7. splinter

splinter Active Member

Different job, but I had the legs shortened on a suit a few years back. They quoted £27. When I picked it up they'd fitted new neoprene boots as well as doing the alteration. Still only charged the £27.