1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drysuit advice.... again

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Paddy, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Paddy

Paddy New Member

Firstly apologies for asking the same question I'm sure has been posted countless times on here, but I've found myself going round in circles and need some help, (even after reading all the prior posts).

So here it is, I'm looking to buy my first drysuit for UK diving. I'm not on bankers bonuses so can't afford a top end suit however I'm looking for value for money not the cheapest thing on the market.

My problem is mainly around material type... What do I go for? As I'm still a novice a suit I don't rip open on my first dive would be a bonus, that said I like the idea and fit of neoprene.

Obviously everyone is different so I'm really just looking for opinions / experiences, as well as any specific recommendations.

As a final point I'm not a techie and plan to dive the usual UK dive sites, probably in the 20 - 25m range at max.

Thanks in advance.

2. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

Where you located Paddy?

3. Paddy

Paddy New Member

Located in Cheshire.

4. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Seaskin offer made to measure for less than a lot of manufacturers offer off the peg. There have been a few stories of the forums of a few issues of late. Saying that there is also horror stories about Northern Diver and I've only recently changed from mine after gaining a pound or two from quitting smoking :shy:, I know several people who dive them with no problems at all

5. Mustard Dave

Mustard Dave Member

I've got a Northern Diver Vortex membrane drysuit; I paid £500 for it.

[​IMG]

I've not had it long enough to find any problems but one of the divemasters at my club has the same suit and said he has given it plenty of hammer, using it on rescue diver courses.

They have brought out the Vortex V2 now but I opted for the V1 (mainly because I'm a Man City fan and there's no way you'd get me in a red suit!). They still have some V1s but stock is running out.

Northern Diver have a showroom at their Wigan premises which is easily accessed from J27 of the M6.

6. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

Little bit of a trek i guess, but very well worth it. These guys give you a 1st class service and there suits are very highly rated. m2m at no extra cost. For me neoprene is excellent you get more of an insulating effect , with a good quality undersuit we dived 2deg water temp and where fine. Have a look at there site . http://www.seaskin.co.uk/index.html

7. mills705

mills705 Member

I got my drysuit and 200G undersuit for 622 M2M drysuit. Its Cordura (the better material fr shell suits) and its double taped which means less seal seepage.
    I did two dives today in it to qualify, and its a different experience! I enjoyed it though! Off to capenwray in a couple of weeks to do more deeper dives in it! thus to gain experience!

8. Elvis

Elvis Banned

I'm one of the horror stories for ND drysuits, I know you said your not a techy now but please, please,please make sure you can reach back behind your back without the suit restricting your movement (one reason why seaksin are good because they do M2M) as whilst you might not be a techy now (and may never be) but you may be one in the future, another little tip get any pockets as big a possible ON THE OUTSIDE of the thigh NOT THE FRONT, ideally both sides.

9. Paddy

Paddy New Member

Thanks for all your advice. Think I'm going to go to my LDS and see if I can try a few styles / types then get one MTM. Sure I'll still be trying to decide this time next year though!

10. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Another vote for the seaskin MTM Nova. great suit at a great price. Mrs Garf loves hers.

11. insomniak

insomniak New Member

Did anyone attend the dive show at the weekend? I saw the Hollis BioDry on the oceanic stand. And I so want one. Only the rep said they are not yet in production, strange as you can buy them from the states.... :confused:

I had gone to the show to buy a drysuit. I Had the "Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry" in mind but it was the only suit that never made it to the show.