1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Suit - Undersuit Layering

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by reefer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. reefer

reefer Member

Bit of an embarrassing question really, in that the answer is probably obvious..

I've got an Otter Polar D two piece thermal suit, that I wear under my dry suit. Its great, but I'm sure the weather is going to get colder soon.

Now I've heard and read various people talk about adding layers when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

What kind of considerations do I need if I want to add another layer to the Polar D?

I appreciate additional weight will need adding to me and a weight check doing again.

Presumably I would wear something underneath the Polar D or would that be ontop?

Choices I have heard mentioned when people speak about layering include

- Merino Wool
    - PolarTec

Any pitfalls to avoid?

2. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

See how it goes as the water gets colder. you might find you're fine with what you've got. If you want more warmth, add an underlayer - either merino wool or synthetic. Remember that Aldi/Lidl often have thermal baselayers on sale (usually for motorcyclists) and they're a lot cheaper than "diving" or "outdoor pursuits" versions of exactly the same thing.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the aforementioned Aldi/Lidl thermals and wear those under my undersuit. Yes, they make you a little more buoyant but not massively so, make 1kg different.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've got various base layers that I wear under my o three PBB extreme.

I nearly always wear a thin wicking base layer that I got from decathlon for about a tenner. Absorbs sweat in summer and adds an extra layer in winter.

In winter I'll put a merino wool top and leggings on as well. For the merino stuff I've been using Aldi ones, but the bottoms have just fallen to bits. I've also had a decathlon merino top and am currently using a set of Helly Hansen merino gear. Keep an eye out on their website as they sometimes come up on offer, they're not cheap at full price. I paid about 30 quid for the set iirc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I add more layers, mostly to the torso region as that's the core concern.

I start with a thermal vest, add a thermal t-shirt, a Santi BZ200 heated vest (it's warm without the battery), a rash vest over that lot, then Fourth Element Arctics over the top of that. Generally I don't need the heater on all the time, but when I do it's great!

Want to work on the gloves as my fingers do feel the cold. Struggling to fit the thicker outer gloves to the Kubis though.

6. reefer

reefer Member

Its good to know that the non dive branded gear performs as I've already gone over budget this year in quite a big way.

I'm the guy that always has to wear a fleece in the office when the air con is on, therefore I think its pretty safe to assume I might needs some layers soon :geek:

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I used to use the Otter 200 that came with my previous suit but found it too bulky and now use Arctic's, with a merino base layer. As the water cools another merino layer is added and the Xerotherms replace the second merino layer.

I bought a few sets of the Jelly Hanson sets when they we cheap a few years ago.

This year I have a Light Monkey Heater Base to try out as an exchange for the wool later, along with Pitkin controller so I can vary the output.

8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Regatta Synergy micro fleece set or Trespass micro fleece base layers can be bought
    for a little as £20 the set. A base layer tight to skin is an absolute before anything else
    as it's rare to get an oversuit that fits well all-over and that means possible flushing.