1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry suit disappointment

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Alan Davies, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

Hello again after spending time with colliwobbles this morning (again spot on thank u) I've found that the dry suit I brought needs new zip neck seals cuff seals and may b valves so I've written it off just throwing it out there has anyone got one for sale I'm 5 ft 6" 14 1/2 stone don't want to pay dear as I know I'll probably change it after a while
    Thanks in advance

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Tough luck, Alan - at least you'll have a better idea what to look for in the next purchase.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was the rest of the suit OK?

Whilst it's a pain replacing the seals, it's a fixed price job, but only if the suit doesn't leak.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

What are your DIY skills like? I'd be tempted to buy some seals off eBay and have a go at fixing it. Do the cuff seals first, they're easiest. If that goes ok, try the neck. That's a bit more difficult, but not too bad. Then do the zip. The zip is

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

I know but I've been quoted £250 for the zip £35 neck seal £35 wrist seals and if the valves want changing £70 each but they have one for sale £300 so that's why I did not have it done I know £300 is cheep but when u are expecting to pay £35 for a neck seal it's money I've not quite got wish I had but
    Story of my life always miss the bargains

6. splinter

splinter Active Member

Pressed send by accident and can't edit for some reason!

The zip is the trickiest bit and most expensive so practice on the other bits first. I just checked on Seaskins website and you could get all the bits you need for around £100, not including the valves.

I've done it this way. I learned from information found online and had some help from forums. If you can get someone to show you how, even better. Obviously, I'd try the suit in a pool first, once it's fixed.

It's worth it if you're interested in learning how to fix your kit. If not buy a second hand suit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sorry, didn't see that the zip needed replacement too...

The question is whether it's worth throwing good money after bad or cutting your losses. That depends on the suit having any value after the ~£300 work is done -- does it fit properly; is the rest of the suit clapped out; is it a cheap or expensive suit; what accessories are there (pockets, etc.). You need the rest of the suit assessed by someone with no dog in the fight, i.e. a repair shop would be biased to getting the work.

If, as it appears from your comments, it's best walking away from, is there any chance that you can get your money back from the seller? If an eBay item, was it as described?

8. kainan

kainan Member

Seaskin make some great drysuits both membrane and neoprene.300 pounds is a lot to spend on repairs and i have done it myself but sometimes it is best to cut your losses.rubberman.co.uk does zips for 100 pounds neck seal 40 and wrists 35 the pair if that helps.

9. kainan

kainan Member

sorry wrong price neck seal-Neck (Latex and taped) £45.00

Neck (Neoprene and taped) £55.00
    Wrist (Latex and taped) per pair £40.00 (1 wrist = £22.00)
    Wrist (Neoprene and taped) per pair £48.00 (1 wrist = £25.00) Valves
    Wrist dump £25.00
    Auto dump £50.00
    Swivel inflation £40.00