1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving with a cold!

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Andy.Prince, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Andy.Prince

Andy.Prince Member

Hi picked my self up a winter cold that i cant shake off at the moment, was planning on getting wet this weekend is there anything i can take (i know when you do your padi course they say never dive wih a cold or take anything for it) but thought id ask the qustion here what do you all think? or shold i cancel dive and get wet another day.

2. Tricky

Tricky Member

Decongestant to clear your sinuses, apart from that just stay dry and warm until it goes.

3. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

It's not advised but some people take Decongestants before a dive if they are bunged up, though not advisable. It's not worth it for me as I would never equalise my right ear, as this is always the last to clear.

4. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

Sudafed spray that goes up your nose is quite good, doesn't make you sleepy either which is good.

5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Dive another day.

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Decongestants before a dive are not advisible even if they are the 'non-drowsy' kind. They tend to disorientate you slightly and there is a higher risk of becoming narked, especially in cold water.

If it is a mild cold and you don't have fluey symptoms, you can try old-fashioned steam-menthol inhalation to clear the upper air passages.

7. Aquafan

Aquafan Active Member

I would go with this suggestion myself. The time I would think of taking meds if I was on a liveaboard.

8. Tricky

Tricky Member

Yep, what AF & PF said.

You won't enjoy it and you will just prolong the cold by getting chilly during SI's.

9. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

Just leave it 'till the cold is gone. Run the risk of a reverse block. No thank you!!

10. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

What is bad is when you convince yourself you will be OK get up at stupid oclock drive to some quarry pay to get in dive to about 2m and spend 5mins trying to equalise before you give up and spend the rest of the day listening to how great the dive was and the vis was bastards.

11. Robin

Robin New Member

I would give it a miss, i just done 3 dives to about 27m on my last divable day on holiday with the flu, 1st dive i had a killa headache, seccond dive was fine but the third back at yolanda reef almost killed me i got reverse block and was freezing and this was the only day in the two weeks i wore a wetsuit as i was feeling so crappy but didnt want to miss out on the thistlegorm. I had to go stright to bed after and stayed in bed until check out the next day. On the plane i passed out and had the paramedics waiting for me at the other end. The flight got home an hour early though.

12. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

A good sensible rule ,Don't dive with a cold. It will pass why bother going just to find you cant equalise. Save your pennies you would have spent on your dives n transport and look for a shiny thing on the web that you don't really need, but it looks good. Now that's a far better idea :thumbup: And you keep warm too .Hope you feel better soon.

13. zoglet

zoglet Member

The risk is that when you're congested, it's not the big sinus channels you need worry about, ie "My nose isn't blocked anymore", but the little ones that can still be filled with crap and you don't feel it. Seen a guy with a reverse block in his sinuses; tear duct/eye/jaw/teeth/god knows what. He stayed down trying to clear until low gas forced him to surface. Ex-Marine holding back the tears, he was in so much pain. His eye had completely closed up and his face looked like he'd had the ... kicked out of him. Took 3 weeks for the swelling and bruising to heal. No thanks.

14. Andy.Prince

Andy.Prince Member

Thanks for all the advise going to see how i feel on friday but think ill be giving it a miss this weekend, shame as got a new drysuit i wanted to try out aswell o well 2 weeks off work over xmas lots on diving for me :) :)

15. ben

ben New Member

A bit off topic but...

Just picking up on something AquaFan said, is it normal for the same air spaces to equalise last? Also is there anything that i can do to 'improve' my equalisation as i normally have to stop my decent before i can equalise properly, or does this just come with time?

Thanks

16. Steppenwolf

The motto is to equalise regularly as you descend and before you actually feel the need to do so. There is no set rules about which spaces equalise first or last; there is a significant amount of individual variation. People with earwax often have probems with squeeze or reverse squeeze of ears whereas those with a tendency for blocked sinuses suffer in those passages. I occasionally have equalising problems with my ears but so far never with sinuses whereas my wife is just the opposite - but admittedly the problems are very rare for either of us.

17. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

Very individual thing. Normally blow through and the nose the right will clears left not ,swallow the left clears the right not . How strange is that . Although occasionally i swallow and they both clear.

18. Flower36

Flower36 Member

Ah sorry to hear you have a cold, me and my fella were supposed to be going to Capenwray tomorrow with our dive club but have postponed it, we were both full of it last week, and although we are loads better we are still not 100% Last time we dived I was bunged up, struggled to equalise in one of my ears, and ended up with a killer headache.. Not so good.

Like the others say - get well and save your pennies till you can enjoy it.
    Get well soon.

19. Arbeia Diver

Arbeia Diver New Member

During my DM course I was diving 3 times a day and ended up diving with a cold. After a shallow dive of 9 meters I got a really bad reverse squeeze. I'll not dive with cold again!

20. Steppenwolf

You can say that again. I once experienced a sinus reverse squeeze even though I did not have a cold before the dive. It is an awful sensation; feels like the face is going to rip itself apart.