1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving Oban / Sound of Mull - 2019 May or June

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Wibble, Sep 18, 2018.

?

Which date?

1. 27th May (Spring bank hol)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 10th June

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 24th June

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Diving in Oban is wonderful. Aside from the incredible diving, Oban's a full sized city so has a wide range of facilities available including some great restaurants and large supermarkets. The west-coast location is truly beautiful.

The diving really is superb. Generally good visibility with loads of life, diving on walls, drifts, wrecks are great for all levels of divers.

Would like to gauge interest in a week's diving next May or June 2019. The three neap weeks are 27th May (spring bank hol), and the 10th & 24th June.

Diving would be off a hard boat, Urchin, from Puffin Dive Centre. Accommodation would be in their on-site chalets which have 4 rooms and accommodate up to 7 people (2 twin rooms, one bunk bed room, one small single room). We'd have the chalets from Saturday 1600, checking out the following Saturday at 0930. This would give flexibility to arrive when you want and do some shore diving on the Sunday.

Urchin's a quirky boat, but fully enclosed. Works well. Lunch and snacks would be provided. Two dives a day. There's no gas fills on the boat, so you'd need to have sufficient gas for the second dive. Puffin has a fully equipped dive shop and service centre, so can rent pretty much anything (drysuit!). Gas is available including the famous self-service air filling station. Nitrox is also available.

Target sites would include the Hispania, Shauna, Rondo, Thesis, Breda plus various scenic walls and drifts. These are perfect for AOW / SD level divers. The great thing about Oban/Sound of Mull is you can dive in all weathers. Literally. Last year (2017) we dived in a force 9 gale in a sheltered site for two days!

Costs would be shared between divers. We'd have a maximum of 12 divers and the possibility of up to 2 non divers (paying a reduced rate for accomodation only). It would be under £500 each if we have 10 divers, dropping to £420 each for 12. Non-divers would be £160 for accommodation. Will calculate the exact price when numbers are known.

Would be looking for a £250 deposit up front (have to pay a deposit to Puffin), with the balance 2 months before.

So who's interested and which dates?

Vanny and Nick Ward like this.
  2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Already diving off Skye in May, otherwise sounds great. If you come up short, I could try my HSAC club for you - Oban is driveable in five or six hours from here.

3. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Im a possible Glen.. with a plus 1 diver.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'd love to, but with a week in Scapa later in the year, I'll not get a pass for another week away diving.

You're right about the diving up there tho. I'll be going for the third time in November with the club and as it's an annual trip, probably next November too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Very tempting... When are you looking to "finalise" dates (and deposits) etc?

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Will definitely open this up to anyone if there's sufficient interest.

It's a big initial outlay as the boat and cottages are a large lump sum and need 50% up front with the balance 8 weeks before. Obviously the dates can only be finalised when the deposit's paid.

I'd be particularly interested in the May Spring Bank Hol - use a 'free' holiday. It'll be a little colder, but nothing untoward. And possibly midge free too.

Nick Ward likes this.
  7. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I'd be interested, and would hope to use the box.
    There is a raft of personal stuff happening though that might get in the way, so as of today, I would have to be "tentative".

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The good news is Puffin will rent almost anything (with the appropriate qualification card!!!), so if the box won't play ball then there's always the bubble-blowing second-class alternative.

I know my place...

furryman likes this.
  9. nickb

nickb Active Member

I'm doing a long weekend in mid-April as an en-route diversion to Scapa for the start of the season.

This will be on MV Halton, a Scapa boat (a liveaboard owned & skipper by Bob Anderson) that regularly spends the early season on the Scottish west coast. Having done something similar last year, I wouldn't do the Sound of Mull any other way now.

Bob operates out of Dunstaffnage but will moor-up wherever is convenient for the desired itinerary - Lochaline or Tobermory make a nice change to staying at the same place every night.

10. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I’m a possible, but only for the later date.

11. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Hi Glen. I would be a probable, but only for the last one due to other commitments.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Now have an earworm: Rouyd Sally rouyd...

The second date clashes with a very significant birthday for two of us (the other's a probable too). Mind you, as birthday boys at least we could choose the dive sites!

jps likes this.
  13. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I am definitely interested.... Need to speak with the Governor General first though.

24th June is best for me.

14. Depthdevil

Depthdevil New Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Much that I'd love to have organised that trip, it's clear there's not enough interest and it's a large up-front outlay with large commitment. So we'll leave it there.

16. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi Wibs - organising a trip is like herding cats, sorry this one hasn't worked out.:depressed: If I hear of any cancellations for a Skye trip on MS Halton, 4-11 May, would you be interested? Currently, full.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It would have been a commitment for several thousand pounds. Just need one issue and an unsold place and I'll end up out of pocket. I'll leave it to the entrepreneurs to pick it up.

MV Halton: Yes please John.