1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving Maldives (not live aboard)

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Graysyid, May 23, 2018.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Me and the Mrs are trying to negotiate a holiday next year and we're looking at the Maldives.

She doesn't dive and I try, any recommendations on the islands etc?

Liveaboard obviously not going to happen. I want to do as much as possible

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

We went on a small cruise boat a few years ago - about 60 passengers max that came with it's own dive master - he was the one with long greasy hair and a roll-up stuck to his top lip (the rest of the crew were smartly dressed! It went from island to island overnight, varying from "sandbank", exactly that about 200 yards by 100 yards, a "local" island where we walked around being inspected by the residents and tourist islands that had a bar/restaurant, some tennis courts and lots of thatched cottages, sometimes on stilts in the sea. Although only a week, it was one of our best holidays. I would not want to be stuck on one island for a week - they are all very small and I'm easily bored.
    Unfortunately, I did not try any diving that year otherwise I would have been diving five years earlier!
    You could try to find something similar - I'm fairly sure the boat we went on is not operating any move.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Reethi Beach is nice. Pretty decent island with a few different restaurants and sports and a spa but I wasn't that impressed with the diving around there (we mainly did the shore dives though).

Biyadhoo is nice too, not as fancy as Reethi beach and more of a no-frills island (when I was there at least) but the diving there was pretty good, either by boar or the house reef.

4. John F

John F Member

I have been to Kuradu 3 times, they have a very good dive centre there, with about 8 boats all going out to different sites, so lots of options and some really good sites and a good house reef. There is one of the best sites for turtles off the back of the island and Kuradu express is a good dive for reef sharks.
    The island is about 90 miles north of the airport so the seaplain transfer is the best way and good fun.
    I think I have just talked myself into going back. The best time to go is November to April, later in the year is monsoon season.
    John.

5. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

The bucket list is whale sharks, Reef sharks and manta rays. The Mrs is supportive of my diving and really open to the best islands. Great advice so far thanks. Snorkelled with Turtles in Antigua last February, Thats what gave me the push for open water.

6. Dale Martin

Dale Martin Member

I stayed at Sun Island in south ari atol last year and the diving was pretty special. Got to see mantas, a whale shark and lots of black and white tip reef sharks. There were also quite a few turtles.
    The island itself has plenty of facilities and several good restaurants. It’s not somewhere I’ve ever got bored and I’ve stayed there twice.
    The only advice I’d give you is to go all inclusive if you have the option as the prices of anything imported, i.e. Coca Cola and alcohol, are pretty steep.
    It was a pretty new 5 star resort when I first stayed there in 2003 but it’s starting to look a little tired now. The good thing about this is that it’s a little cheaper than similar resorts but you still get very good service.

Graysyid likes this.
  7. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

The mantas are in different places at different times of the year. When are you thinking of going?

South Ari atoll is the best bet for whale sharks. They're more or less resident there but you'll see them elsewhere if you're very lucky.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

8. snowman

snowman Active Member

I was on a live aboard, but there's a resident group of Whale Sharks at Sun Island (apparently), so you're most likely to see them there.

The downside is that island based trips to snorkel with Whale Sharks seem to be full of idiots who just scare the Whale Sharks away...

Our best experience was the time we spotted one on the surface as we returned from a dive.

For about 10 minutes it just happily circled amongst us, but as soon as a resort boat arrived and the splashing, duck-diving hoard got in, it was gone in 10 seconds...

M

Graysyid likes this.
  9. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Been looking at sun Island and it has its own dive centre, hopefully looking at March next year

10. snowman

snowman Active Member

Sure you'll have a great time.

Like many here, I do most dives in the UK and enjoy it, but a dive in clear, warm, blue water with 25+M vis is always a pleasurable experience (incidents excepted of course!) :)

M

11. Stinky Diver

Stinky Diver New Member

I done Kuradu twice its not cheap to stay there and its not cheap to dive there even taking your own regs and puter but good dive sights and not a bad house reef with a wreck .Biyadhoo great little place very basic accommodation food not bad and cheap as chips to dive when i went in 2015 it was about $20 to dive the house reef day boats morning and afternoon ...negative was no nitrox

Graysyid likes this.