1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving In Orkney

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by pitdiver, Mar 4, 2019.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Evening all, this summer my wife and I are going up to Orkney for a week. Before you all say "You are not experienced enough to dive Scapa" I know that, we weren't planning to. But are there any dives in the area suitable for novices or they all really for the experts/experieced diver.

2. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

As far as I've been told, there's plenty of dives for relatively inexperienced divers. Many of the blockships are less than 20m, The Tabarka is a max depth of 12m. Even many of the German battleships are around 25m at the top of the hull (and 45m at the seabed!). There are also scenic dives around the flow.

Whilst you might get more out of a trip as a more experienced diver, if you're going to be there anyway, it's worth having a chat with one of the skippers to see what they recommend for your level of experience.

Scapa Flow is on my "must go" list, so I'm thinking of organising a trip there next year.

Alex Denny likes this.
  3. nickb

nickb Active Member

There is diving for all levels in Orkney. The idea that diving the wrecks of Scapa Flow is ‘deep, dark, scary, technical shit’ is total nonsense. And many people dive in Orkney and don’t go anywhere near the German Fleet.

Scapa Scuba have a team of instructors and dive masters that can tailor-make an entire diving holiday, regardless of prior experience.

Give them a buzz or DM me for more info.

Alex Denny likes this.
  4. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I have had a look at Scapa Scuba's website. I think they offer just the thing we may be looking for, a couple of shore dives near the Churchill Barriers, max depth 10m and I quote " This site is ideal for certified divers who have not dived for a while, or who are not qualified for the deeper dives in Scapa Flow.". So we could be in business. Only in Orkney for a weeks primarily looking at property and the scenery, but you never know.
    Thanks for the advice.

5. snowman

snowman Active Member

Yes, don't believe the hype. :)

You WILL get more out of the wrecks with twinsets/rebreathers, but none of the 'big' names are very deep and you can dive the majority on a single and PADI Deep Spec (I did, that's me at Scapa in 2012 in my profile photo).

I loved it, I hope to go back sometime with my twins, but honestly, I don't know if I ever will.

The Tabarka is a cracking wreck and shallow enough for a second dive (watch the current though!) and I dived all the main German Fleet wrecks, except the two deepest battleships and enjoyed every dive.

The blockships seem to be popular dives too.

My trip up there was guided by Scapa Scuba and I was very happy with them. I had one of their senior guys take me out the first day, but once they realised I wasn't a liabilty (well, too much of one!) the other days were done with a lovely young lady, who knew the sites well and I had a great week.

There's a lot of BS written about Scapa, but even relatively inexperienced divers can enjoy it and see the 'highlights', even if there's plenty more for the more experienced to explore, too.

M

NickPicks likes this.