1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diving in ndac

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by gary, Dec 28, 2015.

1. gary

gary New Member

Hi you lot. Hope you all had a great Christmas and I wish you all a happy new year.
    here is my question. My partner and myself have cmas 1 star and padi open water diver qualifications. I know they are practicaly the same but hay ho! My problem is this.... we have only ever dived in the warmish atlantic in the canerie islands and the warm waters of the agean sea in turky. We would like to make some bubbles at the ndac but was wondering if we would require an instructor? As this type of water is different from where we have trained. Whats the opinion here? Thanks for any replies. Cheers. ...

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You won't need an instructor but you will need a drysuit!

Take it easy and stay shallow and you'll be fine.

Daniel likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

NDAC is a great inland site to dive but it's not tropical! It's fine for Open Water divers with plenty of stuff to play on above 18 metres.

As Dom said, a drysuit is normal in the UK for diving. Wetsuits are OK in the summer but a drysuit is definitely warmer. NDAC is currently around 10 degrees and will go down to 7 degrees in Feb.

If you are heading down there, do post on here in advance as I'm sure some others may come along.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Honesty no - don't.

Remember your training "conditions same as or similar to what you were trained in",
    which makes this totally different and in effect turns you back to a beginner again as
    that is TBH what you are for UK diving.

Drysuit has been mentoned, but what about hoods and gloves? Were any of the dives
    and skills you did on your courses with these? If not could you do a simple mask clear
    or even tighten up a BC or more importantly dump a weightbelt with cold hands etc.
    Then you've got the buoyancy issues with all ths lot, which will be vastly different than
    what you've used before. NDAC is giant stride off a pontoon, guess the fun you'd have
    if you get that wrong, let alone with kit you are unfamiliar with and remember it's fresh
    water, not salt, so do you know the weight difference?

I could list plenty of other reasons and kit variances not even mentioned yet, but my
    advice woud be to do a siimple Drysuit course. This works on two levels, it gets you
    into UK with an Instructor in a safe enviroment and at the same times teaches all the
    variants of UK diving on the sly :) I'd do this at Vobster NOT NDAC simply because
    it has a confined area and a slope, so easy to mess around with weighting etc.

It also has a 12m ledge with plenty to see, so once the course is done, you'd be able to
    repeat again and yes this time with that local knowledge could go off by yourself gaining
    more experiience and then yes after that start thinking about NDAC :)

Daniel and Wibble like this.
  5. Doomanic

Staff Member

Unless you use the "beach" which is a gentle slope...
    Plenty to see in NDAC without going deep too...

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well beach is a bit optimistic, it's the width of the road, but then so is the slope at Vobster.
    The main difference to me in this case is for the OP it's all new, so having to go back up the
    road to car park or shop isnt much fun when I can literally park my car next to the shop etc,
    and where I'm going in. Then there is the advantage of the confined area, which as it can be
    booked, is IMO a plus as it allows for a lot of messing around.

Daniel likes this.
  7. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

completely agree with the different differences for UK diving.. A drysuit could be an accident waiting to happen without proper training e.g uncontrolled ascent...

8. gary

gary New Member

Thanks everyone. This is all good info. I guess the crucks of the matter is this. If we dive ndac at this time of year then a wetsuit is less usefull than candyfloss as far as keeping warm is concerned. if we use drysuits then (without proper training) we may as well book into dignitas because the result would likely be the same and with the latter option we would at least get to see a bit of sweeden before we shuffle from this mortal coil. Cool.... so the compromise is to take a drysuit corse and learn the safe use of such kit whilst gaining the much needed and valuable experience of diving the UK waters at the same time. Sounds reasonable enough. Diving at ndac is a 50 mins drive for us where as vobster is a bit further away but all opinions are very apreciated and graciously accepted. Thanks again everyone for the advice. This site realy rocks!!!

Zubar likes this.
  9. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Since your that close to NDAC just use it. You'll be absolutely fine with an instructor. Have fun and hope to dive with you one day !:)

10. clique

clique Active Member

Ello Gary,

Depends on the wetsuit, you might get away with a shorter dive if you've got thick wetsuits? Although in my opinion (so take this with a pinch of salt!) you wouldn't be doing yourself any favours - It'll be chilly! A drysuit is the right tool for the job and as others have suggested, it's worth finding an instructor to teach you how to use it safely.

If a dive club isn't an option then there are plenty of dive schools which can provide the instruction, I think NDAC are partnered with Cardiff Scuba. I'd recommend looking at going through the BSAC dive club route as you'd not only receive the training to use the drysuit but you'd be able to go onto the Sports Diver award (CMAS 2*) afterwards in addition to finding a group of active divers to go diving with!

Hope this helps,

Mike

11. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Really? is the advice of this site that you can't / shouldn't dive in the UK without a drysuit?

FFS - you will be fine in a wetsuit diving to recreational limits (depths and times) in the UK all year round. Yes a drysuit is better and yes it will be colder for the surface intervals but you are not going to die. The great benefit of somewhere like NDAC is that you can take a warm shower after the dive and sit in a warm café.

That said, if you have only dived in warm water you are unlikely to have a suitable wetsuit and, in that case, I would also suggest a drysuit course - that way you get 2 (?) supervised dives and you can decide if you like it.

12. Doomanic

Staff Member

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. A drysuit makes UK and temperate water diving much more enjoyable.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've only ever dived in the UK once in a wetsuit. That was in August last year when my drysuit was in for repair. I still remember the flushing feeling as the 17 degree sea water flushed in through the zip. OK, it warmed up, but the cold... brrrr. OK, I'm a woosie southerner.

A drysuit's so different. Jump in and feel no cold. Luverley chubbley.

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

The coldest I've done in a gimp suit was abut 16° at 40m in Malta. Never again!

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I wore my drysuit in Spain in July. Much piss-taking from the Spaniards in the sunshine, particularly from one dive leader wearing his shortie. And then the weather changed which brought an up-swelling of the deep Mediterranean water, which is cold (for them) but normal for the UK in the summer, around 17 degrees. The dive leader was up on the rib with the onset of hypothermia and thawing out in the sun. Well the sun and the smug grin from my (warm) face.

16. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

You can dive with a rebreather as well but it doesn't mean you should ;)

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

Which is why I'll be open circuit on the 10th.

18. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

boooo

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

But will he be trying Sidemoont?

20. Doomanic

Staff Member

Yes. That's the whole point of the meeting isn't it?

Sidemount_Stu likes this.