1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving in Loch Ness

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm up in Oban next month and we're staying another week on Loch Ness. For the hell of it, I quite fancy a little dip in the pond. Yes, it's cold and dark, but at least it'll wash the salt water off of the kit.

Anyone done this? Anything to see aside from Nessie? Any recommendations?

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I was going to Oban this year but the dates didn't work - tell us whether it is as good as it looks.

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

The diving in the Sound of Mull is superb.

Wibble - rather than diving Loch Ness, which I assume would be crap, try diving the Falls of Lora or Loch Creran whilst you're in Oban. Epic drift dives.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I was up at loch Ness last year. I didn't do any diving, but I was out on the kayak. I doubt there's much to see in there. The water is very dark and it's cold. It gets deep quickly too. I didn't see too many entry points where we were (south west shore) but there were a couple of places boats were launching that might be ok if you keep an eye out for traffic.

I like nickb's suggestion of the falls of lora. I've not dived it but watching from the surface is impressive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm doing a week's diving with the dive club, then a week of touring with the (long suffering) non-diving Mrs Wibble. It's just an indulgence, want to just log a dive in the Loch, definitely not expecting much.

6. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Loch Fyne is ok was there last year.. But if your up that way and drop into inverness, take a trip to pizza express I swear to god the guy that works there is johnny bravo, hes about 6ft 8" and huge but a real gent

http://happily-immature69.tumblr.com/post/92357379248

7. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Some great diving around Oban and I agree that Loch Creran is epic. (Even better if someone has transport to take you back to the start point and you don't have to walk.)

8. Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan New Member

Hi Wibble,

I was up there in 2015, found what appeared to be a old pier/pontoon structure mostly submerged in the south Western part of the loch just a scramble down from a lay-by.

It was around 6pm, but summer so reasonably bright although the sun wasn't shining into the water directly. I surface launched an Smb and went down the line from there. The loch has caves, even if the chances of swimming into one were slim, I wasn't taking any chances.

Visibility was hilarious, it goes from murky to brown and then blood red (peat that washes in) and then black in the space of 10 metres. I could see computer at about half a foot from my face.

What I found was that when on the bottom the vis cleared - to a point. Maybe a metre as long as I aimed light down I could see where I was going and stopped swimming with one hand in front of my head.

Got down to 30metres and found two whisky bottles and a shoe which must have been from the 1920's.... I still have the bottles, the shoe disintegrated within a week of being brought up.... And it stank!!

Tapped my fin on the shelving bottom and immediately thought NESSIE, just couldn't help it the place, the red water, the history and the moon scape bottom got the imagination on overdrive.

Came back up and spent some time looking around the pier/pontoon thing which was very eery and had spikes etc all over, so very slow and steady but it was quite beautiful with the sun shining through the trees behind it.

I would do it again if I was there, but wouldn't go there to do it if you follow me!

9. Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan New Member

Think it was here
    57.151222,-4.645703

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Timing's impeccable!

Am actually at Loch Ness at the moment - staying in Fort William Augustus lovely place. Had a massive row with SWMBO who's dug her heels in about me diving there. Some battles are best left.

I've found a couple of entry points with steps down to the water's edge. It's really odd but there's very few access points from the road.

One's about 3 miles north west of Fort William Augustus, half way to Invermoriston, where there's parking on the A82 and steps down. There's a gentle slope of small railway line ballast sized rocks which would be easy to enter.

The others, there seems quite a few, are on the north west side between Inverfarigaig and Dores. Went paddling in there today; good parking and good access. Only issue today was the westerly wind had built up a bit of surf; but still doable.

#10 Wibble, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
  11. Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan New Member

Yeah I can remember doing the best part of a lap until I found the area above, it was all a scramble or on show... Which seemed to be inviting people to challenge!

If it helps in anyway, the place above is a little rocky beach, secluded, lovely gentle lapping of the loch against the stones. When we went Mrs fired up the bbq and kids had a splash, whilst I went to check for nessie....beautiful sunset too....am I selling it enough to convince your better half?!

Have a good one

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Acht... Fort William... I meant Fort Augustus (mod: updated)

The cost of the divorce would have been rather too much for a single dive. Better part of valour: live to dive another day.

#12 Wibble, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017